Hello Just joined from UK!

Briskycat

Hey, My name is Josh and I've just started college near where I live. I decided to take astronomy because I had seen many documentaries based on "cool stars and nebulas", of which I thought would be an exciting hobby to get into. I have some experience in photography myself But NO CLUE about astrophotography, was hoping for some advice ect... :D

I have already started collecting my gear...Here is what I have spent, so far....

-New camera + lens ...."Cannon EOS 5D Mark III SLR camera"..."EF - 24-105mm IS lens". << VERY EXPENSIVE £3,250

OK so I went a bit crazy on my camera/lens. I had money saved up and in the heat of the moment i got one of the best ones out there.

BUT I STILL NEED A TELESCOPE AND A MOUNT!!

The problem is... I said to myself I would only spend a maximum of £3,800 On EVERYTHING. I just can't afford anything more!

Bearing in mind the camera will be used for things more than astrophotography, such as weddings portfolios ect...

So I have only £550.00 pounds to spend on a mount and a telescope

Advice is more than welcome !!

:D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Josh and welcome to the forum.

You may find if you put a post up in the imaging advice section you'll get a lot more help with this sort of question.

If I had any interest in imaging, this book would be my first purchase before ANYTHING else.

http://www.firstligh...e-richards.html

You may well find, buying this first could save you a lot of money in the long run. :)

Josh, Welcome to SGL all the way from sunny Bulgaria. Still need at telescope, make this your first post on the site, which one to get. There are a few nice scopes and an odd mount or two on the Classified. All memebers care for their gear so you shouldn't worry.

Enjoy the site, I have done it is really great.

Alan.

Hi Josh and welcome to SGL, I would also recommend obtaining the book and reading other material you can find on imaging, as well as having a good look through our imaging sections before spending any more money, if nothing else your main expenditure should be on the mount as this the very base of good Astro Photography. Best of luck with your Astronomy course :)

John.

Hi Josh and welcome to the forum. I too would recommend Steve's book as it will provide you with the necessary overview to help you decide how deep you want to go. As others have said above, imaging starts with the the mount because of the need to track objects accurately. Deep sky objects (DSO's) exist at very great distances and as a result are very faint hence the need for longer exposures. Alternatively you could limit your imaging aspirations to solar system objects (moon & planets) which can be imaged by a simple webcam. As these objects are so much brighter than DSO's, a webcam is an ideal tool that can capture the required data via a high frame rate in a very short space of time which effectively cancels out the blurring effects of atmospheric turbulence and also negates the need for accurate tracking too. The book will go into the above in a lot more detail.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Archived