Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skychart indecision: Sky Atlas 2000 / Pocket Sky Atlas / iPad

KevUU

My iPad got me into astronomy by giving me easy access to "what's that in the sky?" answers. From there I got my ST80, and have been using GoSkyWatch originally, and more recently SkySafari, at the scope. But on a few occasions I've decided I could do with a better reference, at least for planning, and there's the dark-adaptation impact of the iPad to consider too.

My options at the moment are:

Stick with the iPad. I've already upgraded to SkySafari Plus which has more objects, and I really like being able to move around freely, zoom in and out, get info on the object there and then, add things to observing lists and write notes on the fly.

Sky Atlas 2000 (Tirion). Looks great for planning, and I like the idea of having something to peruse a wide area in detail. But it seems like this would be too big to use at the scope?

Pocket Sky Atlas. Gets very good reviews on here, and would be smaller than the above for use at the scope, meaning I could use a dim red torch and keep dark adaptation. But wouldn't it be a bit fiddly flicking around the pages, and how do I quickly locate a Messier or Caldwell or well-known NGC? Plus I'd need a separate notepad to take notes at the scope, and I often don't have a table...

I keep going around in circles on this. :undecided::icon_scratch:

I like the all-in-one-ness of iPad but don't like the dark adaptation hit. I like the idea of Tirion but would probably use it for indoor ref only. In theory I like the idea of no technology at the scope but in practice I like the freedom it gives me. Aaaaaargh! :rolleyes2:

Please SGL, talk some sense into me! :BangHead:

How about getting a Telrad and download the free maps....... :)

or just download the maps anyway......

or try Stellarium, with the Telrad and the maps....the choice is almost endless... :)

I use Stellarium to plan and also to print charts which I then use with a dim red torch whilst outside, works a treat.

Using iPads or laptops, even with the red night colours, is a pain for dark-adaptation when doing visual astronomy.

The S&T Pocket Sky Atlas often gets a thumbs up in here with good reason.

As mentioned there are many charts available online that can be printed off - here's one as an example: TriAtlas You could print these off and store them in a ring binder or one of those conference folder things along with some blank sheets of paper on which to write up your observations - in that way you'll only have one 'book' with you. Use with a head torch that has a red LED to keep your hands free.

I have both the S&T Pocket Atlas and SkyAtlas 2000.0, and have also used various other pocket books or downloaded maps.

SkyAtlas Field Edition is easy to use at the scope - it's printed on stiff paper (like card) and you can hold it, lay it on your lap, put it ona stand according to choice. On foreign trips I've taken the relevant charts and used those with a spotting scope, but mostly I used it with my 8" dob. I like the white stars on black background.

SkyAtlas Desk Edition, which I also have, is beautiful to look at, but that's all I ever do with it (and only rarely). I have never used it.

S&T Pocket is very convenient, and actually has a similar magnitude limit for stars to SkyAtlas. I got it after SkyAtlas and could probably have made do with the Pocket Atlas in everything that I used SkyAtlas for. It probably doesn't have as many DSOs but it plots all the Herschel 400 so it's got everything you're ever likely to see with a scope up to about 6 or 8 inches.

Which you choose comes down to whether you want something big or small, and also whether you want the fainter DSOs you'd get on SkyAtlas. I found there were objects plotted on SkyAtlas that I couldn't see with my 8". Pocket Atlas has an index (with Messiers, Caldwells etc), SkyAtlas Field Edition is a bunch of separate charts and I can't even remember if there's an index chart for Messiers - I don't think there is. There's a book (which I have) which serves as an index. I used to use it to log my observations. Pocket Atlas has a nice way of arranging the charts (by "gores") which makes it easy to navigate around the sky without too much page turning.

From SkyAtlas I moved on to Uranometria and now Great Atlas Of The Sky, but I still use the Pocket Atlas for initial finding of the right area of sky. SkyAtlas would serve the same purpose but I like the little book.

As for all the free stuff, its great advantage is that it's free. But I'm happy to pay money for good, professional design where thought has been put into readability, and it has been printed on good quality dew-resistant paper.

I do have a ring-bound print-out of TriAtlas C down to my horizon (a few hundred sheets of A4), and it's good for finding really obscure stuff, but for use with my 12" I generally prefer the big charts of Great Atlas of the Sky.

Something I never want to do when using a telescope is look at an illuminated screen, no matter how many layers of red plastic it's got on it.

kev, i certainly recommend pocket sky atlas which I prefer to SkyAtlas. It has been my default in the field atlas and I find it easy to navigate with a decent footprint at a5 and robust pages. Even though I use ipad now, I still find i dip into the charts. I also use 'Objects in the Heavens' as an even quicker 'flick thru' because it captures various targets per constellation. Not as detailed but combines nicely with Pocket.

I desperately wanted to use my ipad as its just so easy but in the end I've come to realise that it really does have the same effect as shining a torch at your eyes so I've gone back to the good old S&T Pocket Sky Atlas which covers me for everything I need. :)

When you are looking for faint objects, any light will have an impact on your night vision for a long time, even when in night mode or covered with red film. It's been the difference between seeing and not seeing several faint nebulae and galaxies for me in the past, so I never use my smartphone apps when observing from a dark site. At home it its a little different because I don't think I ever get properly adapted because of the number of lights around.

I have the Cambridge Star Atlas by Wil Tirion which I use as an internal reference, lovely, and very comprehensive.

When observing, I have the S & T Pocket Sky Atlas which I think is great. I have recently put tabs on it too make finding the most common objects/constellations easier. I also use printed maps from the internet to make notes on or plan star hops. I tend to use these too if it is particularly dewy so as not to ruin the atlas.

Cheers

Stu

post-6762-134973216963_thumb.jpg

Gah!

i've got opinions in favour of all three, and against all three, and in favour and against printed out charts, and I agree with all of you!

I think I definitely need something other than the iPad. I like the freedom and spontaneity of it though so I don't want to be planning individual sessions and printing dedicated maps. I think I want to avoid paper print outs full stop, I can't see them lasting through the dew. That leaves one of the atlases, Trinion seems like it would be freer what with the extra size and ability to scrawl on the lamination, but PSA would be easier to handle than an A3 tome...

So the debate is still going around my head :)

Thanks for your feedback so far, it has been helpful even if I'm still all of an uncertainty! :rolleyes2:

I use the TriAtlas here : JR's website on Deep Sky Astronomy

Excellent maps and a real money saver!

I've only printed the A and B sets so far as they are enough for me at the moment. I then used some software to cross reference the Messier and NGC catalogues to the atlas. Pictures of the finished article are below.

In the future I'd like to laminate the pages and use a more weatherproof binder, but it's doing its job for now.

photo-52-2.jpgphoto-53-1.jpg

photo-54-1.jpgphoto-55-1.jpg

photo-56-1.jpgphoto-57-1.jpg

photo-60-1.jpgphoto-61-1.jpg

I should just go with the PSA and see how I get on, since it's fairly cheap.

I expect you're wondering what all the fuss is about. Unfortunately my time and energy are limited and the iPad suits that very well; I can do very limited planning and go out for an hour or two and go whereever my desires take me. The attraction of the Sky Atlas 2000 is that I could look at the iPad and the sky to work out what I fancy doing while the scope cools down and my eyes start to adjust, then highlight some targets on the laminated pages and work to that plan under red light. I get the impression PSA has far fewer NGCs as well as not being writeable. Maybe I should just print some sheets out and put them in those plastic sleevey things, then I could make notes on the sleeves.

i guess my procrastination belies a concern that if I get it wrong I'll start finding it an effort rather than an escape and drift away from it...

Oh, where has my decisiveness gone this week?

+1 for "Sky Atas 2000". I have an iPad with sky safari pro on but seldom use it anywhere near my scope. It's okay to help locate the telescopic panets but that's about it. The screen is too bright for the dark adapted eye. The laminated sky atlas 2000 is very tough to beat. The fact that you can write on it Is a real benefit. You can use templates to mark out star hops for all the objects for the night. Then simply wipe clean at the end of the night. I've had mine about 15 years and am not about to change it, even though the spiral bound back has just given up the ghost. The individual maps are still as good as the day I bought it. I reckon 15 years of field use (regularly covered in dew) is a good endorsement for any book.

I went for the tri-atlas option similar to Brent's post above, though only the "A" set of charts printed out A3 size in landscape. I laminated it with matt pouches to minimise reflection as well as keeping it dew proof. It has far more detail on it than I really need but in a way it makes it upgrade proof if I increase scope size or get to really dark skies.

To those who use Sky Atlas 2000...Do you think it its worth 'upgrading' from S+T Pocket Sky Atlas? I'm tempted by its larger size which would be nice but after a quick hunt around for the best price its still not cheap.

To those who use Sky Atlas 2000...Do you think it its worth 'upgrading' from S+T Pocket Sky Atlas? I'm tempted by its larger size which would be nice but after a quick hunt around for the best price its still not cheap.

Think it depends on how much table 'real estate' you have at your disposal.

Thanks to all for your further input :D

I've borrowed a copy of PSA (thanks Chris :)), and since it's fairly cheap will probably end up getting a copy. I'm still drawn to Sky Atlas 2000 for some reason I can't quite pin down, but will wait and see for now. And I can't imagine my iPad with Sky Safari Pro will ever be far away, but once I've decided where to look I'll be keeping it closed for most of the session.

Now for a notepad and red-light head torch. Oh and clear skies, which are proving even more evasive than my decisiveness :rolleyes:

I think pocket sky atlas is a real gem, it's with me at the telescope at all times and is in enough detail to show any of the DSO which interest me. Of course with a large telescope it may be more limiting. It's all i used to track down Comet Hergenrother last week.

andrew

Archived