Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10 inch goto dob or 12 inch manual dob

Hi all,

Title says it all really. Ready to pull the trigger on a new scope. Can't decide between a 10 inch manual, 10 inch goto or 12 inch manual dob.

Like the idea of not having to worry about power and star alignment with a manual dob,, but worried that ill never find anything!!

Thoughts?

Mistuk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

had both a manual dob and a goto ,goto is easier once set up with 2 star alignment, can be a bit tempremental with power supply and again if at a dark site powerpacks are required , manual dob is good if you know your way round the sky but can be frustrating if your looking for nebula's etc and your not in the ball park whereas a goto puts you iat or near what you may be looking for. i use my goto at home and use bins or a smaller manual newt for my grab and go .

if your skies are good (I presume they are) then with a star map, a red dot finder (I use Telrads) and a right angle corrected finder (total cost about £100) you will have no issues at all finding things. if you can carry and store a 12" this will in my opinion provide a far superior instrument.

Both are great scopes that's for sure and both give great views. The 12" will go a little deeper for deep sky observing, planets will be about the same as the seeing will limit that more than the aperture.

I find a 10" very easy to use being light, portable and easily manageable.

My advice here is if this is to be your "big" scope, and you're unlikely to go bigger: Get the 12" as a second smaller scope can always fill in for quick sessions.

However if you intend on going bigger: A 10" makes a great second scope, ready to go at the drop of a hat.

My partner and I are moving up from an explorer 130p - so quite a big upgrade. We've decided we really like deep sky stuff, and imaging doesn't appeal at the moment....

I saw a flex tube 12" at mc2 telescope shop in Frome. It wasn't as big and heavy as I thought...

Go for the 12" manual and add a set of gauges. 1 x wixie and 1 x digital angle reader. With a small modification to the base you can use stellarium and find anything as quick as any go to.

I did it to my 12" Revelation. Great views and easy to use.

RK

blimey Mike, your skies must be superb. as is your sketching ability!

Cheers Shane but my problem is that I'm too lazy and stay local but in a few weeks time I'm going to put more effort into going to darker skies. :cool:

Another thing to bear in mind: most of the guys on this thread that went with a 12" have aperture fever :D

A 12" seems to be the size of scope where a 16" suddenly looks very doable too :p:evil:

...hands up if your one of these guys :headbang:

If you are only interested in developing yourself as a visual observer, as soon as you learn to navigate yourself around the sky a bit, then you will locate objects a lot quicker than goto, swinging the scope around and nudging creates a sense of freedom and you appreciate the natural movement as objects require repositioning . Enjoy the learning, anticipation and achievement of finding stuff yourself. Agree with everyone else 12" - perhaps a flextube allows you to use at home or better still wrestle it into the back seat of a car for a visit to dark skys.

Size does matter ;) go for the 12" if you don't mind lumping it around. Apeture is king and you will probably enjoy the thrill of the hunt while searching for your targets. I have a 12" dob and I love it - I have a telrad, a right angled correct image finder and a star atlas. 3 minutes to set up and away you go!

My first scope was a goto and since upgraded to a 12" manual (albeit with intelliscan) and I agree with previous post in that the freedom of movement and learnng the skies that come with it are very satisfying. Something I thought I would never say but there you go. I now have to learn more about the sky each time I go out, whereas with the goto I didn't bother too much.

blimey Mike, your skies must be superb. as is your sketching ability!

From what I have seen, most of the sketches were done in circa 6.0 magnitude skies.. :tongue:

BTW Mike, that's a great project you are doing mate, good work!

For you Shane, I know it's a case of eggs, granny and teaching, but It is truly amazing what you can see with a 12" in dark skies. I saw the Dumbell Nebula the other day in deepest darkest Wales and I was stunned to see a rugged structure to the normally smooth 'apple core' shape!

S'made observing at home that much harder.. :(

BTW, I'd go for more aperture. Pretty obvious, really. :D

i have the 10 " auto-tracking dobsonian. it makes life so much easier to switch on, and not have to keep shoving it to have a good look at something.

im not really a goto fan. i enjoy finding the objects on my own and learning the sky. its part of the fun for me.

im no sure i could manage without the tracking though. i think it would drive me mad.

I would go for the goto, but then i have a goto so maybe i am biased. If aperture is what you want obviously the 12". Finding things as a newbie is difficult for me but a telrad solved my problems.

Whatever you get, go for a telrad too.

Velvet

Archived