Hello from Herefordshire

tehmonkie

After a gap of over fifteen years I have decided to rekindle my interest in astronomy. It is fair to say much has changed during that time, mainly the fact that I have a family of my own now and so time is very much at a premium while finances have to be monitored more closely.

With regards to my background in the hobby, I started out with a 8.75in Dobsonian by DarkStar. It was somewhat unfortunate that I never got to use such a light-bucket under dark skies but I will never forget even the simple act of splitting Albireo for the very first time and being amazed by the contrast in colours of this binary system.

I feel my main area of interest within astronomy would probably be lunar and planetary observation now, especially if I could tie such in with my love for photography. I have no optical equipment currently but am very grateful to the kind folks at FLO for all the advice given to me so far.

With my eldest Son taking an interest in the subject, I am looking forward to blowing away the cobwebs even more.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL from a fellow astronomer situated in Herefordshire.

On the top of each page you will see a reference to SGL8. This is a star party organised by the stargazerslounge site. The star party is held at Lucksall, Nr Mordiford, Herefordshire - so you might find this of interest.

In addition there is a Herefordshire Astro Society that meets on the first Thursday of each month at the Kindle Centre, next to Asda in Hereford City - start time 7pm.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Archived