Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Would this work ?

Stevie816

Your outside stargazing, fully dark adapted using your red torch. and you want to have a cup of tea or sandwich.

Could you put on some red goggles and then go inside and put the lights on and make your tea etc and preserve your eyesight ?

I'm thinking skiiing or swimming goggles.

Apart from the fact you will look pretty wierd.

But seeing as you spend all night in the garden on your own no one will be that surprised

PS this was not my idea but My Friend Richard's

Steve

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to say it but yes if the glass were deep red enough.

Many years ago a friends father had some night glasses for driving, they were a "rose" colour as I recall.

I would however suggest shooting Richard, he might come up with other daft ideas.

Don't wear the red diving goggles around Stanstead, I dread to think what the airport security will make of them.

Hehe. A red head torch is fine...

People have been known to wear a patch over their observing eye whe they come in for a fresh brew to retain the dark adaption. Just don't do what I did the other night - taking the patch off - having one eye with a dark adapted pupil and the other unadapted is a very disorientating experience!

I brew up in the house with my red headtorch on , I turn all the house lights off before I go outside , its ok until wifey or the kids come down and leave the lights on.

Sent from my AWSOME iPhone using Tapatalk

going indoors to make tea/coffee/sandwich/ answer phone/use toilet/ect/ect/ect wearing red googles and a red headtorch is going to freak the wife/partner/kids :grin: probably result in plod being called :police: , but its sort of a good idea. If i were taking a break i would have a proper break then go back outside, it only takes about 15 minutes to get dark adapted vision again

This does seem to of become a discussion of how and when to make tea. Lets assume we have made tea and all had plenty (i include other hot beverages here ) and then we find we have to re enter the house. There are others in the house so there are lights on.

In this situation my goggles would be a great idea . So should I go into production ?

who want's to have the American distribution rights ?

Properly dark wraparound sunglasses, with a red filter in front of them. I've tried this before. It's not ideal at all, as a red led headtorch is a far better idea in the dark..

Though I did scare the living daylights out of my landlady a few years ago when I came in from a night to take a break, and I made supper in the dark in the kitchen, to the lights from the cooker LED clock. The landlady comes down the stairs, comes into the kitchen and turns on the light to see me eating a bowl of cereal with jackets and hats on... Nearly evicted for that one ;)

Someone told me once that if your red torch is bright enough that you can see the colour, it's too bright to preserve your dark adaptation. So if you want to go down the goggles route, any dark goggles that keep you in the scotopic vision range (i.e. you can't make out colours - everything appears grey) should work.

Simply closing one eye will preserve the adaptation in that eye, and a patch works too (me hearties!) but you'll probably still trip over the cat.

The problem with an eyepatch is that you lose your depth perception and could end up pouring boiling water down the front of your trousers instead of into your mug. I often go three or four hours "at the eyepiece" without a drink, but if I do feel the need to take a bottle of drink out with me then I try to remember to take the cork out before I start.

James

This might sound daft but i come inside and close my observing eye, don't laugh it works the only issue is you feel like you are blind for ten minutes in the other eye when you return to the scope.

then you can use the emties for when it comes back out. i like it lol

Risky in the dark if you have more than one bottle. Why not speed up the compost heap a little instead? I scared a badger last week doing that.

Risky in the dark if you have more than one bottle. Why not speed up the compost heap a little instead? I scared a badger last week doing that.

How did you manage to train badgers to urinate on your compost heap?

James

This might sound daft but i come inside and close my observing eye, don't laugh it works the only issue is you feel like you are blind for ten minutes in the other eye when you return to the scope.

I have often done this. As Beulah says, it's massively disorientating when you return to the scope.

James

Archived