Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ok, did anyone just see that!!!!

Disco

23rd July 2012 23.43pm (just now!)

5 or 6 orange lights grouped together travelling extremely fast travelling in a north to north east/easterly direction!!! The lights seem to be moving around each other as well.

Very cool whatever that was!!!

Ps observer from Suffolk.

PPs I was looking up at the sky just about to star align to Navi at the time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

could be a flock of birds. I occasionally see flocks of geese with the street lights reflecting off their bellies as they fly over.....the also quack as they fly. First time i saw it I got the shock of my life but 25 years pn and Im still amazed at how loud they sound on a quiet night but during the day you cant hear them.

Astronymonkey

These objects were travelling "extremely fast!" I doubt birds or lanterns :)

Anyway it's now 12.48am the street lights are out and the it's so so quiet apart from the odd fox. The milky way is very clear, my scope is tracking Andromeda and my coffee is hitting the mark.

I have a big smile on my face :)

Its there only me who can't see the milky way? :(

A few people on these forums have linked dark sky area maps and I'm sure there is probably one near you, it is definitely worth the trip.

When I first saw it I thought it was a very high cloud then as your eyes get accustomed to the dark you see more and more detail.

Ps get some bins and look around if you do manage to see it :)

could be a flock of birds. I occasionally see flocks of geese with the street lights reflecting off their bellies as they fly over.....the also quack as they fly. First time i saw it I got the shock of my life but 25 years pn and Im still amazed at how loud they sound on a quiet night but during the day you cant hear them.

Astronymonkey

The first time some geese flew over me at night I ducked! I could hear the noise of the wings but couldn't see where it was coming from, I thought it was some sort of demon coming to take me away! It was only when one of them called out I realised what it was, and I did feel bit of a plonker.

The Milky Way looked so beautiful last night, probably the best i've seen it from my back garden in Nottingham.

M31 was looking stunning last night, also the best view of it i've seen through my 32mm GSO.

D.C

Sounds very much like chinese lanterns. When they get up to a certain altitude, they catch the wind and can really zip along. Then, they land in a field and kill wildlife or start a fire.

23rd July 2012 23.43pm (just now!)

5 or 6 orange lights grouped together travelling extremely fast travelling in a north to north east/easterly direction!!! The lights seem to be moving around each other as well.

Very cool whatever that was!!!

Ps observer from Suffolk.

PPs I was looking up at the sky just about to star align to Navi at the time :)

Nightclub strobos ?

I spent ages looking at it this evening. I've rarely seen it so good.

James

So serveral people are reporting great views of the Milky Way over the past two nights - myself included - against fairly light skies.

Just wondering if anyone can explain why. Is it good transparency due to the rain washing everything out of the atmosphere or something else? The seeing didn't seem outstanding, but like several others Sunday night was the best view of the Milky Way I've had from the UK in many a year!

So serveral people are reporting great views of the Milky Way over the past two nights - myself included - against fairly light skies.

Just wondering if anyone can explain why. Is it good transparency due to the rain washing everything out of the atmosphere or something else? The seeing didn't seem outstanding, but like several others Sunday night was the best view of the Milky Way I've had from the UK in many a year!

I can offer an observation, though I don't know how much it will have affected the seeing. Some seems reasonable. Despite the heat of the day yesterday when I went out (fairly early, because I wanted to see if I could find comet 96P/Machywhatsit, and to see it I could improve on my view of M7 from the previous night) it was already quite chilly and dew was settling far earlier than had been the case on Sunday or the previous Friday. For me I think having a lot of moisture drop out of chilly air fast and early made a difference.

Astronomical darkness is also starting to creep closer to the right side of midnight now for quite a few people. That probably makes a difference too.

James

I saw a couple of objects moving just east of the axis of Cygnus travelling north at a fair old clip at around 10:20 last night. Prolly about mag 4.0, and about 1 minute (of time) apart. I figured they were satellites.

There has been a festival of lanterns recently - don't know where but it's definitely been staged - if a few of them got up into the higher wind streams then it's easy to imagine them belting across the sky in a bunch. :)

Anyway it's now 12.48am the street lights are out and the it's so so quiet apart from the odd fox.

NIce one, but, I have to ask.... Street lights out? Hows that then?? They never go out where I live, ggggrrrrrrr!!

Gary

Archived