NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!!

ASIGN_Baz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YAY!! Finally imaging again! Clear night, no moon, no clouds and DARK DARK DARK SKY!!! :D Going for Messier 42 - The great Orion Nebula tonight!

I've been out of the deep space imaging game for a couple of years now, so this will be interesting trying to re-learn everything and apply the last two years of regular photography processing skills.

GIHyQ.jpg

Fantastic job Baz. Very envious of both your observatory and your dark skies!

Do I understand that your observatory will be used by local groups as in an organised outreach programme, or is it for your own use?

cheers

Kevin

Fantastic job Baz. Very envious of both your observatory and your dark skies!

Do I understand that your observatory will be used by local groups as in an organised outreach programme, or is it for your own use?

cheers

Kevin

Thanks heaps for the encouragement everyone!

Kev, yes mate, I will be making it a free resource for schools and churches and other community groups.

Baz.

Orion is upside down!! :D

I am amazed by how many seasoned astronomers in the northern hemisphere seem to spend a lot of time upside down. Don't you get sore heads from standing on them all the time? Do you wear some special sort of padded hat? ;)

Great stuff Baz, I'd honestly like to write more superlatives but I'm balancing a passed out 14 month old on one shoulder:D

I know the feeling mate! My little one also spends a great deal of time occupying one arm or another. It's a good thing though, to learn to do tasks one-handed. Makes you appreciate when you have the use of two! :D

Baz.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the silicone into all the joints and sealed it all up over the last couple of days. Today we had another big thunderstorm which was a great test.

I went inside during the downpour to look for leaks. I found one dripping through on the skirt, which I marked and will plug later when it dries. Also half a dozen other tiny drops which I also marked for sealing later. That should just about do it! The inside of the dome was 99.8% dry after the thunderstorm, so it's looking MUCH better!

This week our friend and family electrician spent some good hours in the observatory with me, planning the lighting, powerpoints and distribution board. The cabling has now all been run, ready to connect all the hardware.

As well, this week I got a lovely $50 donation from a Canberra local, which I was able to spend at Fletcher Insulation in Hume on a few bags to insulate from heat and sound. It is instantly cool in there now and OOOHHHHH SOOOO QUIET!!

Full construction page here.

dFLDa1i.jpg

Archived