NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!!

ASIGN_Baz

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL... thanks gang. I'm happy I saved a $350 door from hitting the ground from that height. Skin heals for free. Not my own stitches as I didn't have the needle and thread, but I'm going to buy some now so next time I don't lose productivity time on the dome.

^^^ LOL!

Blood on the observation deck. - 1 Dec 2012

It's been an interesting week of fiddling about. I've been putting up some of the roof sheeting and finding it challenging. Not only because of the difficulty in handling such thin and cumbersome material, but at height making it all the more dangerous and time-consuming.

Full story and photos here >> http://www.asignobservatoryii.com/observatoryconstruction.htm

Here's a link to an animation of the doors opening and closing. http://www.asignobservatoryii.com/ASIGN_II_Doors_Opening.gif

6FzUQ.jpg

Now being aware of possible decapitation, is there any mileage in putting up some light weight scaffolding or at least staging.

The big danger is over now. It was the doors that were so heavy and cumbersome. Now all is left is individual sheets, which are more controllable. Slowing down also helps.

Fantastic Barry! I'm so glad you finally have it coming together! Looking forward to some more of your fine work on the POTN forums.

Greg

Thanks Greg, yes I have been waaaay to busy with projects, baby and new job to be out taking too many photos to share on POTN and other forums. Won't be too long now!

An incredible build on an industrial scale, thanks for sharing it with us.

Echo earlier comments on how unusual to see one being built in a front garden - did you need to get any formal planning permission?

An incredible build on an industrial scale, thanks for sharing it with us.

Echo earlier comments on how unusual to see one being built in a front garden - did you need to get any formal planning permission?

Yep, had to go through my local land planning authority.

Only just seen this!

It's looking amazing, wish I could have one of these in my garden.

Are you holding an opening party when it is finished?

Yep, all contributors, assistants and suppliers of materials are getting invited to opening night and BBQ.

1. Nearly half-way with the roof sheeting.

dV7nV.jpg

2. View through the slot from the far wall at telescope height to give an idea of where the horizon is in relation to a horizontal scope.

GTVUB.jpg

3. 3. View through the slot from directly above the pier, where the telescope will be mounted. No need for the slot opening to be any lower as all you will see it trees and oncoming cars from up the road.

fmqPW.jpg

Not a fish-eye. It's only a 16-35mm Canon lens. Yes, it will be covered for Christmas. I got another 2 sheets up this evening. Hopefully get the last 8 up over the next few days.

Yes of course it is, I have the same lens. I recently upgraded from the 17-40mm.

It was the dome shape and being half asleep that threw me. :rolleyes:

I think I'd be out in the night commando style with a machette to those trees.

Archived