NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!!

ASIGN_Baz

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inspirational for sure, that is the look of labours hard earned reward.  Baz apart from coveting your observatory I just love the notion of observing in shorts and T shirt.  I don't suspect dew or ice is much of a problem for you :p   Joking aside I wonder what the different climatic challenges are?   Do you experience much of a temperature gradient from day time to night  and does that give you any great problem.  All that aside I would love to observe in a warm and dry  climate for a change.    

Jim                

Thanks everyone and a happy new year to you all!

Jim, Canberra is one of the colder cities in Australia with winter snow and temps around zero to minus 7 C on average. It's all about what you get used to I guess. You guys probably have far colder to deal with. Our summers get a lot of high 30C and up to 45C so it's heat that is more of a problem in a steel dome. Lots of pedestal fans and open the dome right up early!

It's been great sharing the build and receiving encouragement and advice from the astro-community world wide!

God bless ya all and have a FANTASTIC 2015!

Baz.

Thanks everyone and a happy new year to you all!

Jim, Canberra is one of the colder cities in Australia with winter snow and temps around zero to minus 7 C on average. It's all about what you get used to I guess. You guys probably have far colder to deal with. Our summers get a lot of high 30C and up to 45C so it's heat that is more of a problem in a steel dome. Lots of pedestal fans and open the dome right up early!

It's been great sharing the build and receiving encouragement and advice from the astro-community world wide!

God bless ya all and have a FANTASTIC 2015!

Baz.

Baz, its been fantastic following your build, I stumbled across your web site elsewhere some time ago and have been an avid follower.  You really have something to be proud of there together with your outreach work. Re climate differences, I must admit to being a typical Scot, I suffer in the sun - I could easily get a tan standing beneath a 40W light bulb  :p   I once worked for a few months in Saudi, spent most of my time indoors during  daylight hours - it was so hot that the spanner left lying on the ground would burn your hand when you went to pick it up.  What really get's us here in the UK I guess is not so much the cold but the dampness and of course the clouds.  I'd love to live in a drier climate , the med would be fine.  Anyway, may 2015 be a great year for the Asign Observatory and you and yours, Happy New Year .

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Baz, its been fantastic following your build, I stumbled across your web site elsewhere some time ago and have been an avid follower.  You really have something to be proud of there together with your outreach work. Re climate differences, I must admit to being a typical Scot, I suffer in the sun - I could easily get a tan standing beneath a 40W light bulb  :p   I once worked for a few months in Saudi, spent most of my time indoors during  daylight hours - it was so hot that the spanner left lying on the ground would burn your hand when you went to pick it up.  What really get's us here in the UK I guess is not so much the cold but the dampness and of course the clouds.  I'd love to live in a drier climate , the med would be fine.  Anyway, may 2015 be a great year for the Asign Observatory and you and yours, Happy New Year .

Jim

Thank you so much Jim. Same to you mate.

Baz.

• 1 year later...

As with the Iron Man build, so many people contributed to the vision of ASIGN Observatory II. I have lost track of many of you, but you remain in my heart for all you did. Please rest assured that the mission still continues although a bit slow at the moment. I am confident these things move in seasons, with their ups and downs. 

I have already had groups of kids and their guardians in for sky tours and explanations of the telescope workings and the processes of astrophotography. I've had the Salvation Army kids, a group of primary school kids, some home-school families from rural areas, church and work friends, visits from prominent amateur astronomers and more.

Once the telescope mount is de-bugged, the mission moves ahead!

God bless ya's all!

Baz.

Here's a video for ya!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP20efIBRNM&feature=youtu.be

Archived