Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!!

ASIGN_Baz

^^^ God bless you guys for your kind encouragement! I've very pleased that folks have been enjoying the journey with me!

A little update:

Got a spare few dollars this week so I could afford the last two sheets of plasterboard for the ceiling downstairs.

This afternoon, it was a race for the light as the sun set after work. I lay all eight pieces down, built a new compass and drew the radius out to fit inside the round building.

As I ran out of light, I managed to score the paper then used a plasterboard hand-saw to cut one sheet to size.

H9f74Rm.jpg

FvIJcNE.jpg

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to say I've really enjoyed reading this thread - it's been a great pleasure to watch the progress of such a great build :) I love the rustic approach and using real recovered timber and the workmanship has been a joy to behold. I like to do a good job myself - well as well as I can within my capabilities - and I appreciate geat workmanship :) I like the finished colour which blends in nicely with the environment too.

Baz - I salute you :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

Have to say I've really enjoyed reading this thread - it's been a great pleasure to watch the progress of such a great build :) I love the rustic approach and using real recovered timber and the workmanship has been a joy to behold. I like to do a good job myself - well as well as I can within my capabilities - and I appreciate geat workmanship :) I like the finished colour which blends in nicely with the environment too.

Baz - I salute you :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

Great!! Enjoying this observatory saga :)

I'll do my best to keep it interesting in it's final stages. I'll have to make my Iron Man build the next saga for you guys. :grin:

I made a start today as I had a few hours of beautiful sunlight to work with this morning.

Rather than purchase or hire those expensive adjustable struts to hold up the plaster, I made up these two supports out of some scrap wood. They are just a fraction too long, which give me the ability to wedge them in under the plasterboard as I hold it up to the ceiling. Easy peasy.

I got half the ceiling up so I should be finished the rest by the end of this weekend.

uRRjlUW.jpg

PqdPs6K.jpg

Z1iUS4q.jpg

Very nice struts, take me back a bit but i have used them in the past......is the ceiling getting plastered, vinyl wall paper, or a lick of paint....???

Plastering the joints, then putting in the architraves then a coat of paint.

The ceiling is all up. Now it's a matter of joining tape, joint filler and some trim around the exposed edge in the stairwell.

I bought some thick board today for the trap-doors that will seal the heat in downstairs by blocking off the stairwell.

I picked up all the gear today thanks to a wonderful donation by a fellow in Victoria. I'll be getting to work tonight and over the next week to get the ceiling finished and ready for a coat of paint.

The last part of the ceiling was the trickiest, as there were many angle involved, lots of things to get around and rebate for, plus the sheet can't fit in the gap in one piece. I ended up making a template out of 3mm craftwood scraps. I then traced the template onto the plasterboard sheet and cut it out. I had to cut it into four pieces to get it in there though. It's all done though and ready for finishing.

1. Tracing the template

QLnQEq5.jpg

2. Plasterboard cut to shape

OIt1Z8u.jpg

3. Fitted

6a496ZA.jpg

Oils ain't oils

All I wanted to do today was apply paintbrush to timber. Unfortunately for my impatience, preparation prolonged my agony for an excruciating hour and a half before I could even wet the brush.

There was the bottom floor to clear of construction tools and materials, then peel up the temporary carpet and underlay. I gave the handrails and treads a final sanding then a meticulous vacuum of all surfaces.

The mix of mineral turpentine and boiled linseed oil was a 50/50 ratio, penetrating the wood deeper and hopefully causing the oil to set harder.

A few minutes after oiling the top couple of treads and stringers, the mix began to release aromas from the Cypress and Eucalypt. Unlike painting with paint, (which is a pain in the butt) oiling wood is a real pleasure. The speed at which the transformation occurs is gratifying and the colour change is stunning - it's richness paralleled only by the smell, which is akin to walking into an antique furniture shop.

Full story here.

ePMCSlr.jpg

cMYsHbR.jpg

xMU4Om4.jpg

D67IDRC.jpg

Finishing up.

If someone at church this weekend asks me, "How was your week? I would have to begin by saying, "WELL... WHERE DO I START - HOW MUCH TIME HAVE YOU GOT!?

I got some BIG NEWS last week that I can't yet let on about, but needless to say I have a very short time to get everything finished.

I've had a couple of friends over every day and every night working until late at night painting, plastering fixing wall-joiners and preparing for the carpet layers.

To add to our tight deadline, I have mysteriously injured my shoulder and am unable to lift anything heavy. It's been totally weird in that if I keep moving it feels ok, but if I stop and sit still I'm in agony.

anyway, one of my mates from work has been an absolute champion painting for me, even popping by at lunch time for half an hour on a work day to get things done.

We gave the inside of the dome a second coat of flat black paint, re-oiled the stairs and woodwork upstairs again and painted the plasterboard ceiling downstairs. At least I got to use my left arm a bit with the paint-brush and cut in the edges ahead of my friend with the roller.

My family electrician friend is away on holidays for a month, presenting me with the difficulty of finding another who can understand the wiring already routed and then finish the job - for the right price too!

The carpet layers arrived this morning, bringing with them WAAAAAY better carpet and underlay than the old stuff I had found second-hand.

These two guys were like magicians. They worked tirelessly throughout the day to lay, cut-in and join the carpets both upstairs on the observation deck and downstairs in the lounge area. Their skills were amazing to watch in action.

I couldn't believe how beautiful it turned out upstairs. The room is completely transformed. I was still reeling with pleasure when I saw the finished result downstairs! Wow.

With a final vacuum and a couple of Italian chairs tactically positioned, it looks good enough to live in.

Tomorrow I have a hardware tradie coming in to help me fix the two dome doors that roll sideways. The sliders I have used are not coping and have popped all their roller bearings all over the lawn below. Over the next few days I'll bring in the rest of the furniture and reinstall the telescopes and computer. The wiring leading from the house is not yet heavy duty enough to run heaters, kettle, toaster, fridge and everything else, so I will just get the lighting and power-points installed then upgrade the feed line later. I have to dig up the original 600mm deep trench and put in a thicker conduit plus add a data cable.

FULL STORY HERE

dacVrfD.jpg

bkq6aXc.jpg

yzYJ935.jpg

HBzlfKt.jpg

KmxbE2t.jpg

Pa7wBNA.jpg

That's fantastic Bas. That's one observatory I'd love to see in it's full glory and not over the net.

Yes good tradesmen are a sight to behold when watching them apply their skills, they are as rare as rocking horse poo as well.

I can well imagine your elation, what a buzz. Well done to you. :icon_salut:

Thanks gang. You are all welcome to visit next time you swing by Aussie land.

Now that the carpets are done, the electricians have visited and are about to start work in the next few days. In the meantime I have a little grace time to put in some trimmings.

1. I found some high density foam that is easy to carve with a blade and is sand-able. Not sure how it's going to look but I'm hoping once I paint it white to match the ceiling, it should look ok and certainly better than the ugly square hole around the top of the post.

ujPsunx.jpg

2 & 3. Mitred dressed-all-round timber (DAR) for edging.

GaoUqno.jpg

tYimbxO.jpg

4. I had a few problems surrounding the threshold. The bolts protrude through the carpet are a trip hazard and also a fray point for the carpet. The carpet is smooth-edged to the threshold, but it is also higher, meaning that it will eventually work its way out. The threshold is also flat so water can migrate across it from under the door. I've solved all these issues with a fitted wooden plate that covers the edge, the bolts making them level with the surface and providing an edge to stop the water coming in.

Woc6vBJ.jpg

Archived