NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!!

ASIGN_Baz

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You got to have a laugh mate, otherwise what's it all for.

The build is really taking off. The last image shows again the true size of the obsy rather than the one you are on top of.

I would imagine that once the door is on it will be more secure and you can leave gear in there.

Around here the whole thing would have been nicked for scrap metal.

I'm still racking my brain trying to figure out a way to motorise my obsy roof. I might put out a competition on here for ideas with the best idea winning a prize. :cool:

I'm still racking my brain trying to figure out a way to motorise my obsy roof. I might put out a competition on here for ideas with the best idea winning a prize. :cool:

Washing-machine motor and a pneumatic tyre up against the inside of the ring.

Baz how are you going to manage the heat in there as I imagine that's going to get quiet warm during the day?

The last one was fine. This one will be fine too. I am insulating the warm-room underneath, but leaving the dome uninsulated.

Starting to look like a fairground ride. :grin:

Looking the biz mate. Can't wait to see the dome covered.

Ta mate. Yeah, me too!

Finally got the last of the heavy bows on the roof. I've been at it for roughly two hours every afternoon after work until I run out of light. I've even come home at lunch times to get 30 minutes of labour in at times. Time is so precious.

The next step is to roll-form some lighter intermediate bows. Flat sheet to cover the dome will bend nicely one way, but not two ways, so trying to bend it over the large area between these heavy bows is likely to warp and distort them too much. Putting in some intermediate bows will mean thinner strips of sheet, reducing the need to bend them two ways.

Full-story here

MdmwM.jpg

Coming on very nicely :) With your spring coming on you'll be getting longer days so should be able to get more time in - if you can stand all the hard work. I imagine you're planning to get it ready to use by next winter :) Good luck and thank you for posting your progress on here - this is a great construction to watch :)

Coming on very nicely :) With your spring coming on you'll be getting longer days so should be able to get more time in - if you can stand all the hard work. I imagine you're planning to get it ready to use by next winter :) Good luck and thank you for posting your progress on here - this is a great construction to watch :)

Thanks Gina,

I was hoping to have it ready for the partial solar eclipse coming up here in November, but unfortunately money has dried up so it looks like a completion in 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great project! I can empathise about the funds, I'm almost flat broke near the end of my Obsy build, not that mines on the same scale as your though:D Fingers crossed that some funds become availble to you matey, it will be good to see this all up and running capturing the interest of the public!:) p.s. very professional looking build so far, congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

One of the hurdles I've had to overcome is that the old pier is not high enough to mount the telescope on, as the new floor level is now much higher.

To solve this, I have built another wooden box like the one underneath, to be filled with reinforcing mesh along with some conduit to run electrical cabling. It will then be filled with concrete.

Full story here

1. Constructing the form-work for the new pier.

UX2j6.jpg

2. Form-work in position on top of old pier.

OKB0e.jpg

3. New pier extension topside.

jW5EJ.jpg

4. While I was at it, I skinned the door with thick steel sheet.

alQxZ.jpg

The race was on today as the rolled steel arrived to build the dome's sliding doors and complete the intermediate dome ribs. I say, "race" because tomorrow afternoon I have a professional welder coming over to weld stuff together.

This afternoon I measured, cut and joined all the framing together for the sliding doors. I have used 20mm steel plate to join it all together with screws, that way the welder can just weld all the joints together, then I can remove the ugly plates and screws.

Below: Picture 1 - One side complete. Picture 2 - The two halves will split sideways to open the dome slot.

19AlP.jpg

4lD5D.jpg

Archived