SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!!

ASIGN_Baz

Finally!!!

Wowee, the plan is coming together! A while back I sent my design concept and dimensions to a building engineer. A couple of weeks ago I received the engineer drawings for the structural support. The drawings look fantastic, hi-tech and very professional. And get this, the awesome guy did it for free! Last week I started buying steel and cutting, drilling, welding and assembling.

The very next day, I got a message from a company called Diversified Computing and Consulting. They have very generously donated $500 to get the observatory started and have pledged $500 every month for the next six months! Wow! I am blown away and was really lost for words. Such generosity is rare and I am sure that future patrons of this resource will be very grateful. I know I am!

I also got a $100 donation from a troop-commander of mine from my army days, two astronomy mates, a church friend, plus a pledge at tax time from my insurance broker! There’s a long way to go, but all this certainly helps! At any rate, it gets it all moving and that’s often the hardest part.

This week I have bought the bearers and cut them to size, cut the support studs and cut and drilled all the joining brackets. The welder is coming tomorrow to weld all the brackets on then I can start bolting it and erecting it!! WOOOHHOOO!!

To keep up with progress, Here's a link to the project.

YXkHd.jpg

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't look like much, but I got a heap done today on the observatory. Tomorrow all the studs go up. I thought I would jump in the photo and stand still for 30 seconds tonight to give a sense of scale. (I'm 6'2)

ULOd7.jpg

This weekend was a marathon of time available for building. By doing some extra cash work after hours and with help from some awesome people and generous givers, I managed to get together enough funding to buy the wall-framing.

Click here for construction update.

Below: Studs in place - with some minor plumbing (vertical alignment) to be done on each before they are screwed to the flexi-track top and bottom.

1HFiZ.jpg

HEEIP.jpg

Wow...that's some inspirational build you have going on there Barry. :icon_salut:

I'll be very interested in seeing the motion mechanics of the build when you get to that stage.

The skies there also look phenomenal. Great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived