NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Surprise clear skies?

Shibby

It seems out of nowhere, there are clear skies forecast for tonight in much of the South of the UK.

Just thought I'd mention it as there was no sign of this in the forecast yesterday! Might be able to get the scope out for the first time in 4 weeks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally, a decent chance of (you know what) and the opportunity to dust off the 'scope...thank God I'm not on shift tonight!

MeteoBlue suggesting possibly the chance of similar happenings thus weekend too, not holding my breath just yet!

I have the ST120 out cooling, but somewhere out of the reach of rain, and I shall finish the work I told a client I'd do this evening nice and early, but it's still a tough call. On a scale of early night to dirty stop-out I think we're still nearer a good cocoa and a hot book.

James

I have the ST120 out cooling, but somewhere out of the reach of rain, and I shall finish the work I told a client I'd do this evening nice and early, but it's still a tough call. On a scale of early night to dirty stop-out I think we're still nearer a good cocoa and a hot book.

James

Raining here James but the rain radar is showing that it is patchy so you could miss it altogether - fingers crossed :smiley:

Looking at Sat24 there doesn't seem to be a lot of hope for the south west tonight. If you live between the Wash and Humber it's looking pretty good on the satellite images though.

James

Its darkish,its clear and i'm done looking after my students for the night.

I'm half tempted to do some observing tonight. I think the Heritage would be the best bet as the cooling time compared to the SCT is less and its more "Grab n Go".

Rubbish here so far. I've just been out to check and most of the thicker cloud has broken up but there's a huge amount of high-level haze that's spoiling pretty much everything. I did at least see a meteor, so the evening isn't a complete write-off. I shall give it another half hour or so before calling it a night.

James

I got a bit of viewing in , admittedly i was cooking my tea while i kept trotting in and out looking at Saturn, couldn't really get it focused though, atmosphere problems or my focusser maybe, seems to be a bit odd lately, but views of the moon the other night were clear so im going for atmosphere. First time scope has been out at night for a while lol

Forecast looked good for Derby. Set up at 10pm. Got some great views of Saturn in from 22:30-23:00 considering how low it is now. Just caught a glimpse of Cassini division. 3 moons visible. Clouded over now. Guess what the forecast has changed to party cloudy. First time out in two months!

Archived