Hello people!

Mich

Hello everyone my names Mich, 23 from the west midlands!

I'm very new to the astronomy scene but i've always had a keen intrest in the wonders of space and the moon!

Yesterday i bought my very first telescope to see if i could get to grips with usuing one before spending a lot of money on some decent kit, I got myself a 'Celestron AstoMaster 130eq' and i HOPE this is good for beginners and will allow me to see some good things on the clear nights :)

I don't understand all the technical terms/jargon whatever its called so you'll have to be patient with me, But after looking around various sites i've decided this will be the best place to get started for someone who is 100% clueless!

hoping to learn a lot from this website, and meet some great people.

So yeah, Hello :)

post-24975-0-77684800-1341572888_thumb.j

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mich, and welcome. You've definitely come to the right place. I'm new here myself and have found so much help and advice. Don't be afraid to ask anything. I've asked some pretty dumb questions and have always had sensible replies.

Hope you get those clear skies everyone talks about to check out your new scope. It's bound to happen sometime :grin:

Jason

Cheers lads.

I'll start of with a silly question then aha, How do i attach my Nikon D40 to this telescope, i don't know what i'd need exactly, would someone be able to link me to a mount or adapter? and i'll just buy it :)

Really excited to see the moon, sit everynight whilst smoking in the garden and just stare at it!

Hi and welcome :)

Im a total newcomer myself and not been on here long but you will definitely get plenty of help and advice. There are some stickies in some of the threads with recommended reading, as well as some of the jargon terms (which still go over my head, lol).

There is more than likely a group local to you as well who meet up that you could with.

Hope you enjoy your scope

Hi Mich & welcome ,As to your post on (How do i attach my Nikon D40 to this telescope,) If you start a new post in the right place on here more will see it and can help you.It keeps forum tidy and helps more on finding answers to Questions.

Les

Cheers lads!

Shame about the weather today though eh, was really hoping to have my first go at things tonight!

EDIT: Also, i've just been and bought some binoculars, someone said they'd come in handy, i just don't actualy know why haha?

HI Mich and welcome to the forum. Regarding the need for binoculars, I would say they are very useful in providing a much wider view of the sky when you are stop hopping to your target. 'Binos' as we call them are useful because they can still give you a big enough view of the sky that is very similar to any map that you might be using to select your targets. You might want to consider downloading a free bit of planetarium software called "Stellarium" which you can preview here. Lots of great features to help you find objects as well as identify those that you find along the way.

Regarding attaching your camera, you can see form FLO's website here that you will need first a T ring here along with the required adapter to link your camera to the scope here. The mount (tripod and mount head) that supports your scope does not have the tracking accuracy to enable you to take pictures of deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebula. Rather than use your DSLR, a webcam would be better to enable you to image the moon and the planets because it is able to collect a vast number of 'frames' very quickly from which you can then subtract the poor ones and stack the remainder to create a good final composite image using free software called 'Registax'. Pressing the shutter at precisely the right time using your camera whilst pointing it through many miles of turbulent atmosphere will prove very frustrating and will yield poorer results. If you need more details you might want to post a question over on the imaging forum to see what people would recommend you use and to give you some hints and tips.

Clearer skies soon and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Well I was shocked to look outside, and see the sky's were 100% cloud free, and the moon right there as I step out the back door.

I got all excited grabbed the scope for my first ever go and I can't even get a focus on the moon =/

I'll have to look over everything tomorrow and work out what I'm doing wrong, this is confusing stuff for a newbie!

Thanks for the help and welcomes :)

Archived