NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Bournemouth

midjam

Hi all,

I have already had some great advice from the good people on this forum and I'm guessing will need much more in the future :)

I brought my first scope recently, a second-hand 4.5" Meade and have seen great lunar detail, Saturn's rings and Mars. I'm already researching the next scope upgrade and have been looking at Skyliner 200p but, should I wait save my cash for a 250px??? So much to learn and take in :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Midjam and welcome to SGL, you will no doubt have read in the forum threads that aperture is King, I think you will find the consensus of opinion will be in favour of the 250 px but that is one big scope compared to the 200p. Enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Hi and welcome.

The 200p is a much more manageable beast if you have to move it to a viewing location. Sure you'll get brighter views with the 250p but you'll get even better with a 300p or a 400p. Once you go down the road of a spending a little more for a bigger scope you run the risk of ending up with a bulky ornament that rarely leaves the house. I bought a 200p in 2007 and have never regretted it whilst watching others heave their light buckets around.

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

10" Dob is the "Goldilocks" size scope IMO. Not to big to be bulky and awkward, and not so small as to not be able to give some great detailed views.

You can be up an viewing in seconds with a medium Dob that's the great attraction for me. :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. The 200P is Britain's most popular telescope and for good reason as it is at this aperture and cost that observing becomes really interesting. Should you go bigger? Well that very much depends on where you observe and if away from home, then of course you will need to ensure the scope is portable. If you observe from home then it really is down to your budget if I'm being honest, and certainly buying bigger will save you any money lost on any upgrading in between. Having more aperture would certainly provide more satisfaction as you are able to resolve more detail but be aware of the focal ratio (aperture divided by focal length) as larger scopes can in effect become 'faster' (lower 'F' number) which might mean purchasing better eyepieces to get the best out of the scope. At the end of the day its down to budget and what you are prepared to move around. If it is at all possible, you might want to consider holding off any purchase (the stars aren't going anywhere) till the darker nights come along so that you can arrange to go along to one of your local astro club's observing nights to get your eye in on some larger scopes to see for yourself what difference the size of aperture can make and whether you believe it is worth the extra cost.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Thanks all for the very warm welcome and cracking advice, I think I'm going to get myself a copy of "Turn left at Orion" first and take Jame's advice and go along to a local astro club. Anyone know of one in my general area?

Archived