Hello Folks

newo1944

Hello from Edinburgh, Complete novice here, and already I need help! (nothing new there then) ok here goes, was given a Meade4504, all seems to work BUT it has a busted tri-pod, I can replace the whole thing spending about £70, I did ask if the seller would sell me just one LEG (tut tut) its amazing the amount of Naughty words that can fit into a 4 line Email

OR I have the chance to buy a Nextstar 130 for about the same money....soooooooo any advice on which I should go for would be a great help

many thanks

owen

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a quick look (and I know very little about scopes) the only thing that would sway my decision is that the nexstar has a 5.1" mirror, where as the 4504 is only 4.5". I'm led to believe that bigger aperture is better, but I'm not sure how the quality of the optics/mounts sway this decision!

I'm sure someone with far more knowledge will be able to help you much more than I can, and I'd advise you wait for them before doing anything as I'm almost certainly wrong :p.

Welcome to SGL!

Ginger

Hi Owen and welcome ,bigger is better but it's always down to the cash if you can get the bigger scope ,go for it bigge is better ,the best scope is one you will use all the time,does a new leg cost as much as the new scope ?

Pat

I'm with glowjet on this one. It's definitely worth checking over Scopes'n'Skies "Astroboot" section to see if they have a set of legs or an entire tripod that would work as a replacement. I'm not familiar with your scope, but tripods and tripod legs seem to come up quite frequently in astroboot and there must surely be some that would fit.

James

Archived