Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

On the Tele Vue slippery slope....

Mike73

Where my BST's worked very well in my 8" f/6 ever since I've had my 12" f/5 I've really noticed a difference in stars on the outer edge of the FoV looking soft and distorted.

I've made the mistake of reading some recent discussions on here regarding Ethos and Naglers and tomorrow I'm going to be the proud owner of a 16mm T5 Nagler. :hello2:

I'm pretty excited and just wanted to say it out loud, hope no one minds. :):D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one of those myself. It packs one hell of a punch for such a small eyepiece. It's difficult to work out how all that sky can fit into such a small package.:)

Like all the T5 Naglers it's super sharp too.

The eye relief is a Little tight for some at 10mm but I don't find it a problem.

And Barlowed it's sweet.

Enjoy.:hello2:

They dont make it easy on you when you are looking into your choices do they!

It came down to the 13mm ethos, 17mm T4 or 16mm T5 Nags. The 10mm ER doesn't worry me so the T5 won. :hello2:

Glad you mentioned it's good barlowed as eventually plan to have a minimal but quality EP set. May take a whole though!

Funny you should mention this as I'm looking at ordering my first nagler tomorrow, I just can't decide which one.

I've had a couple of televue plossl's for a few weeks now and they are so nice I've just gotta try a nagler,or a Delos. Or maybe a panoptic.

This is so hard.:hello2:

Nice choice - I owned a 16mm T5 Nagler for a while and it was a very sharp eyepiece. Be careful when using filters with it as the lower lens element is quite close to the bottom of the eyepiece barrel and heavily convex.

standing on the very top of this slope and that 13mm ethos grease maybe on my shoes!!

I was sooo close to going down that slope, even phoned to check they were in stock (and they are :);)) but chose the not so steep Nag slope instead. :hello2:

I have one of those myself. It packs one hell of a punch for such a small eyepiece. It's difficult to work out how all that sky can fit into such a small package.:)

Like all the T5 Naglers it's super sharp too.

The eye relief is a Little tight for some at 10mm but I don't find it a problem.

And Barlowed it's sweet.

Enjoy.:hello2:

Totally agree with Steve.

standing on the very top of this slope and that 13mm ethos grease maybe on my shoes!!

Oh dear it has started.

be afraid be very afraid of the hurt you are going to inflict on your bank balance. my green ethos obsession started with this one.

Y

Cheers Damo.

I did notice you are selling your 26mm and was tempted but needed to get a mid range workhorse first. :)

I am so far down the slippery slope there really is no hope for me Mike :hello2: I think I have finally given in to the inevitable and succumbed to the lure of the 21mm Ethos. I have a relative in the states at the minute who can pick one up for me at a massive saving on UK price. I would have to shift the 26 Nagler at some point though so its not set in stone yet by any means. As already mentioned above, the T5's are razor sharp, so I may well change my mind....again.

Y

I am so far down the slippery slope there really is no hope for me Mike :hello2: I have finally given in to the inevitable and succumbed to the lure of the 21mm Ethos.

Oh dear. That came second for me as well. Then the 17, then the 10 and finally the 8. oh and the 2x powermate.

I was lucky enough to pick up a mint 2nd hand T6 Nagler 9mm just over a year ago. The first time I used it I saw such incredible detail on the Moon's terminator - amazing contrast in the shadows. I've managed to suppress the urge for now, but it's only a matter of time before I get tempted to buy a powermate to go with it!

sorry for the question, but what's a powermate?

It does a similar job to a barlow lens, only better :)

Unlike a barlow, a Powermate (it's a Tele Vue product) does not affect the focus position or eye relief.

On the slippery slope business, I'm at the bottom of it now. I can't afford a 4.7mm Ethos SX or the 21mm Ethos so I'm going to "make do" with Naglers and a Pentax XW for low and very high power viewing :hello2:

I went down pretty much the same route. I started with BSTs and once I knew the hobby would be a long term passion, I then decided that I would buy the best optics I could afford as I had done with my previous hobbies.

My eyepieces (10 in all) are now all Televue with three Baader Genuine Orthos thrown in for good measure. The set I have really covers all angles for all scopes although I could always change one or two - e.g. my 15mm TV plossl for a 16mm Nagler and my 32mm TV Plossl for a 24mm Panoptic for the ultimate travel set when combined with my 3-6mm zoom!

The best thing for me is that you know you are getting the best images (within discernible reason anyway) that your scope can offer.

My tip for ensuring you buy the right ones is the buy e.g. a used plossl or BST etc at the focal length you think you need (or barlowed to get the right FL) and use this for a while. If it becomes a favourite then buy the next used (or new if you can afford it) one that comes up - but act quickly they sell like the proverbial hot cakes! you can then sell the used plossl/BST for little or no loss.

....The best thing for me is that you know you are getting the best images (within discernible reason anyway) that your scope can offer......

That has been my primary objective in all the eyepieces I've owned over the years as well :hello2:

In our large F4.1 Dob with only fair-to-middling sort of mirror the effect of using premium EPs is spectacular rather than subtle. In spite of the huge increase in FOV the view to the edge is cleaned up beyond recognition.

Olly

Archived