NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

On the Tele Vue slippery slope....

Mike73

One of the main reasons why I will slowly upgrade is because of my EQ platform. I really enjoy using it, its great, it keeps everything centred in the FoV but with my BST's thats also its downfall. Any stars on the outer 25% are quite blurred and if I want to see them in any kind of quality I have to nudge the dob which defeats the point of the EQ platform! :hello2:

Postman has been and gone and no EP!? :) Grrrrrrrrr!!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spaceboy also raised a point that I'd never really given my thought to in my thread about Powermates, he said some people have experienced balancing issues with Flex dobs with PM and TV EP's.

I guess thats something I'd look at if it occurs but the thought of faffing around with counterweights every time I use a 2" EP doesn't appeal to me, think I'd rather build a new base. But thats another dob mod for another time....

Things can only get worse,

I started with the nagler virus and it quickly turned into a telscope fetish.

seriously, very nice eyepiece, I have one.

Alan.

Go on admit it then Alan, how many scopes have you got then?:hello2:

The 16mm T5 in the 300p flextube will receive a lot of use at x94 mag in resolving many targets. It is a beautiful eyepiece, and as has been mentioned, as soon as you get one televue you want to start a family. Eventually my next one will be a 7mm nagler.

Well the EP didn't arrive! Apparently Royal Mail are expecting delays because the the BH weekend (or that was what I was told).

I'm actually having second thoughts on the T5 Nag and swaying more towards a 13mm Ethos instead!

I can stretch to the Ethos but either way after this my spending funds are wiped out for a couple months.

Would like some opinions on this please?

13mm Ethos or 16mm T5 Nagler.

mike,i'm going down the ethos slope because if i going down a slope (as when i'm snowboarding) it might aswell be the scareist...cause it's also the one that you get the biggest kick from:headbang:

I sold my much loved Nagler T6 13mm and T5 16mm to get an Ethos 13mm when the range was introduced and there no regrets for me - it's an awesome eyepiece in every respect :p

It shows as much sky as the 16mm Nagler too so replaces 2 eyepieces - that was my sales pitch to my other half :)

Be ready for a big eyepiece though, compared to the 1.25 T6's and T5 :hello2:

Isn't that one of the main (one of two, the other being the cost) problems of the Ethos / Naglers though, that they are so big they often need counterweights?

How heavy are the ethos, say compared to the heaviest nagler or Panoptic, as this could perhaps have an affect on balance used with a dob? A 13 & 16mm nagler are featherweight in this respect.

I also traded in my 13 t6 for the 13 Ethos and never looked back. I have often spent an entire session with just that one eyepiece in the focuser. If you can stretch to it Mike you will not regret it. An utterly amazing eyepiece! Just in case you are not aware, Telescope Service have a 5% discount on all Televue eyepieces at the minute. Its advertised but I had confirmation in an email earlier. They can supply a 13mm Ethos with the current exchange rate for around £378 delivered!!

I put a 1.3lb bag of sugar next to my focuser earlier and it was fine, much more and there would be some balancing issues.

Before committing to buying my first TV I've been trying to get a pretty good idea of what range of EP's I'd like beside it. As it turns out whether its Nagler or Ethos I think I'm going to have to look at a counter balance of some sort.

Damo...you sir are a diamond!! :hello2:

No, the discount is not in the list price. When I enquired how to apply the discount this is the reply...

Hello,

Just order online and drop a line about the offer in the comments field. The balance will then be returned!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Rüdiger Maaß

Basically ask for the 5% discount and it will be refunded :hello2:

I ordered the 13mm Ethos from TS, it worked out a bit shy of £100 cheaper than buying from UK. I added a note as Damo suggested to try and get a further 5% off just have to see what happens.

Happy and excited? Slightly!!! :):hello2:

Archived