NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hyperion Exodus ?

gfletcher

Hi Guys

I know i have very recently sold all my Hyperion eyepieces and bought Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces but we seem to have a mass exodus on Hyperions.

Looking through Astro buy/sell there are a significant amount for sale.

Interesting :(

Graham

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You get this effect with eyepieces. One month something is in vogue, next month it is something else. Hyperions are very nice EP's.

I agree. One moment all the talk is about TV's and everyone wants a TV next it's BGO's and everyone wants a BGO now it's LX's. I'm sure at one time it was hyperions.

I agree. One moment all the talk is about TV's and everyone wants a TV next it's BGO's and everyone wants a BGO now it's LX's. I'm sure at one time it was hyperions.

but bgos have always been great:)

.... I'm sure at one time it was hyperions.

Yep - a few years back they were considered the best thing since sliced bread and many sold their Tele Vue plossls and Circle-T orthos to upgrade to them.

Their price has crept up a bit of late though and the £50-£100 niche has some interesting alternatives now.

As Perry points out though, it's still quite hard to find nicer 68 degree eyepieces for under £100 though.

If all my scopes were F/7 or slower I'd be quite happy with a set of Hyperions. They are thoughtfully designed and well made eyepieces.

I have four Hyperions, and never noticed any dramatic issues (they have some coma towards the edges) with my ST80 (travel kit) at f/5 and the views are wonderful in my 80ED... not tried them in the RC yet (probably ought to look through it at least once, if only to say I have :(), but I expect they'll be excellent at f/9.

I like the views I get with my Hyperions through my 200P dob so have no intention of changing them. Must confess I do find the different posts, including mine, about how good particular EPs are quite funny. Always looks like we're trying to justify to ourselves we made the right choice :(

The Hyperions are great ep's in my view, my only gripe is that the rubber eye-cups become detached quite easily, however, they are very nice comfortable ep's, unchallenged before the X-Cel LX's came along, but the flexibilty with the FTR's is unmatchable at the moment.

Has anyone got any experience of the Celestron Ultima LX's?????? Just inquisitive really. On paper they seem good, although they are more expensive than the Hyperions.

If I remember correctly they are a good ep but very heavy.

Archived