Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Tent

Looking for some suggestions on a new tent :D

I currently have (and some will of seen!) the world smallest "two man" pop up tent as I'm lazy and don't want the hassle of putting the thing up.

However, after SGL7 I decided it's too small really (nothing like sitting up in the night and getting a shower from the condensation!)

I'd quite like to get an additional "room" in it for use as an imaging base (so needs to fit small table, beer, chair, beer, laptop, beer.) :p

Other than pop-up, the only other requirement is I'm cheap, so really looking at sub £100.

Moon on a stick? I dunno, you tell me ;)

Thanks in advance! :(

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a cycle tourist I was into small, expensive, top quality tents. Wearing my new 'occasional camper' hat I have to say that Decathlon tents, at what seem derisory prices, are really very good.

Pop up is OK but if you can't separate the inner easily from the outer they will be a beggar to dry after getting home.

Proofed nylon groundsheets are not good on cheap tents. Better to go for the plasticky rustling kind and leave proofed nylon for the posh ones.

Some cheap makes are destroyed in no time buy UV.

A ground sheet protector of undersized tough plastic is a good idea. It has to be undersized or it will become an under-tent fishpond...

Olly

I have had the Eurohike 3 man tent for about 6 years now and used it plenty with my two young children (now 10 and 7).

It has been very good, easy to put up and has coped with some pretty severe weather at times. Getting a bit old now and I will look to replace it soon.

It is not very big, the sleeping area is ok for me and the children on three airbeds but I would not want anyone bigger in there!

The additional space is not really big enough for a table, although you may be able to sit on the floor with a very low table to use the laptop.

Maybe best to go and see one before buying

Stu

to be frank you are struggling to get a tent with those requirements for under £100 you need to be looking at 3000mm hh for british weather which lets out most of the ebay tents. The UK Camp Site for Tent and Caravan Campers in the UK has a good section for tent reviews done by ordinary people not tent reviewers so it might be an idea to try that.

As you are using it for Star Parties and will be able to carry it in your car I would forget the 'pop ups' and suggest a small Cabanon or similar second-hand.

After you have slept in a good rigid cotton frame tent everything else will seem flimsy and damp. They take a little longer to put up but are well worth the effort, and will last you years.

We slept through a force 9 gale in ours 2 years ago and awoke to find half the site had emptied and the remainder a sight of carnage.

Alternatively a good Khyam would suit your needs.

Ebay, as ever, is a good source.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cabanon-Pyramide-IV-Canvas-tent-Sun-canopy-premium-quality-/300703212317?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item46034ee31d#ht_500wt_1204

It doesn't have two rooms, but we have a "teepee" that's fairly spacious and doesn't take a lot of effort to put up because once the ground sheet is pinned down it's only one central pole and some guy ropes to hold it up. Given that it goes up so quickly it's nice that it's tall enough to stand inside, too.

James

my father has a tipi when he was in scouts when he was 15 (hes 53 now:P) and its still going strong, and like above i remember sleeping on a campsite in newgale near tenby and it was a massive storm, but we were fine and its fairly large, but i guess they probally dont make them like they used to any more

my uncle buys alot of stuff from go outdoors if you join their "club" you get massive discounts on stuff

So after taking in as much advice from above as I could, a couple of most helpful PMs, looking around, reading forums/reviews and randomly clicking :D I'm being drawn towards ....

Vango Icarus 500 (2011)

It's big (double room,) SiG, 3000 HH, reasonably simple pitching (not pop up I know!) and can be found for only just over budget.

Extras available would seem to be footprint, carpet, extension tent/sun canopy thing.

Any body used one of these?

I should probably add I'm all about the warranty so I'd prefer to buy new (even if that means spending more,) but that means unfortunately ruling out S/H or any ridiculously expensive ones :(

I haven't used one but I do a fair bit of camping and have seen a few around. It's not a bad tent and I would have recommended it myself but thought it was a bit more than a couple of quid over budget. they also do a canopy extension for it.

Strangely enough, i'm starting to look at well, would like to start going to some overnight (rather than visiting for the day)

Go-outdoors have some specials this week.

I was having a look at either of these :

Hi Gear Mojave 5 Tent (2012) | GO Outdoors 199 on the site 129.99 in the posted offer leaflet

Hi Gear Rock 4 Tent | GO Outdoors 139.99 on the site 99.99 in the leaflet

They also have one of those fisherman beds, half price.

I haven't used one but I do a fair bit of camping and have seen a few around. It's not a bad tent and I would have recommended it myself but thought it was a bit more than a couple of quid over budget. they also do a canopy extension for it.

I've found the 2011 version for 135 :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strangely enough, i'm starting to look at well, would like to start going to some overnight (rather than visiting for the day)

Go-outdoors have some specials this week.

I was having a look at either of these :

Hi Gear Mojave 5 Tent (2012) | GO Outdoors 199 on the site 129.99 in the posted offer leaflet

Hi Gear Rock 4 Tent | GO Outdoors 139.99 on the site 99.99 in the leaflet

They also have one of those fisherman beds, half price.

I haven't looked at your links as mobile but the Hi Gear ones with a living area I saw appeared to be open / non sealed at the bottom of the living area. If I've got kit in the front I don't want any water getting in so it is SiG or bust for me :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't looked at your links as mobile but the Hi Gear ones with a living area I saw appeared to be open / non sealed at the bottom of the living area. If I've got kit in the front I don't want any water getting in so it is SiG or bust for me :(

Must admit I couldn't find any with a sealed front room, will be having a look at the one you found as well ......

Hi Stephen,

I have an Outwell polycotton tent, it is brilliant but way outside your budget....

It has a zipped in heavy duty groundsheet. The complete tent is 38 kilos.

Incidentally, at SGL 7 this year, there were 3 Outwell tents next to each other.

However, on the question of a footprint, I use one and they are definitely a major yes in my view.

I also have a carpet in my tent, it too is a big YES.

The reason I spent so much on a tent is that I use it from March through to the start of December. The tent I have is warmer in cold weather and strangely cooler in warm weather..............

I understood that Mike (Demon Barber) has just bought a new Vango tent today.

I hope to see it later this month at Cumbria 5 Star Party.

Good Luck with your choice of tent and the bits and pieces that go with it.

Cheers

Adrian

Yo, I use an Vango Icarus 500. There's loads of room, keeps dry, head height excellent, no stooping around. 100% recommended as a 5 man tent for one astronomer.I got mine last year with a free carpet. That's glamping for you, nice.

Should be a dearth of 2nd hand tents on fleabay if this weather continues.

Nick.

Yo, I use an Vango Icarus 500. There's loads of room, keeps dry, head height excellent, no stooping around. 100% recommended as a 5 man tent for one astronomer.I got mine last year with a free carpet. That's glamping for you, nice.

Should be a dearth of 2nd hand tents on fleabay if this weather continues.

Nick.

I'd also recommend the Vango Icarus 500, I don't have one personally but one of the guys in my observing group has one and they are ideal for star parties.

I have a 3 man Vango and I sometimes share my mates 8 man Vango at Star Parites. They have all coped really well in all weathers at star parties from Feb to Nov. :hello2:

I'd also recommend the Vango Icarus 500, I don't have one personally but one of the guys in my observing group has one and they are ideal for star parties.

I have a 3 man Vango and I sometimes share my mates 8 man Vango at Star Parites. They have all coped really well in all weathers at star parties from Feb to Nov. :hello2:

Yep, that's me. The Vango Icarus 500 is a 5 man tent (sleeps 3 in comfort or one with bags of room.) It has an inner sleeping area that can divide into 2 and an outer open area. The outer area takes a chair, small table, my 14" Flextube, HEQ5pro and 4" refractor + EPs /DSLR kit etc - no problem.

I find it great for comfortable and roomy camping at Star camps. Three of us have shared this tent no bother.

Tom

Somewhat inspired by this thread, I found a Vango Tigris 400 plus canopy and other bits on gumtree, very close to me. Tent had only been used twice and I picked it up just before going away with my daughter for the weekend.

I'm really pleased with it. Sleeps 4 so plenty of room for me and two children, and a decent sized living space even without the canopy. Adding the canopy avoids issues of rain/getting wet when opening the sloping main door and gives somewhere to cook under shelter.

Best bit is that it is easy enough to put up on my own and I can choose whether to put the canopy up or not.

I got the tent, canopy, footprint, carpet, two matching windbreaks and a table all for a decent price I think so am v pleased. The carpet does make a big difference to the warmth if sitting on the floor! Feels palatial compared with my little three man dome, such a relief to be able to stand up straight!

Pics attached

5c06c8c4-23e0-b8da.jpg

5c06c8c4-2402-1a10.jpg

5c06c8c4-241d-0384.jpg

5c06c8c4-245d-c857.jpg

Stu

Archived