NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

"So you believe is astronomy do you?"

palebluedot

I had one of those classic moments walking home from the high street today. I popped into Smiths for this months AN and on the way back I went into the corner shop, the owner (who I have been chatty with for years) asked me what my mag was. I told him Astronomy Now and that he had never sold it. To which he replied "So you believe in astronomy do you?".

To be fair, by the time I had recovered from my hysteria, he had realised his mistake and offered to add it to his magazine shelf in future :D

Had to share.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nevertheless, even as we push aside dodgy and rather pathetic and banal phenomena like astrology, we must continue to continually question our own concepts, beliefs, assumptions and the such. If not, stagnation and dogma results.

Evidently, we can argue that facts are not neutral, they are all theory-dependent which means we can't appeal to a body of facts as an impartial tribunal that judges the validity of a theory.

All observations rest on some form of conceptual framework that is brought to the table of experience. Ergo, facts presuppose some kind of conceptual framework.

That's classic, at least the local shop will hopefully have your magazine from now on. My work mates often wind me up by deliberately asking me if I'm into astrology, knowing they will get an adverse reaction.

Nevertheless, even as we push aside dodgy and rather pathetic and banal phenomena like astrology, we must continue to continually question our own concepts, beliefs, assumptions and the such. If not, stagnation and dogma results.

Evidently, we can argue that facts are not neutral, they are all theory-dependent which means we can't appeal to a body of facts as an impartial tribunal that judges the validity of a theory.

All observations rest on some form of conceptual framework that is brought to the table of experience. Ergo, facts presuppose some kind of conceptual framework.

I must introduce you to my cornershop friend :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

That actually made me squirt cold coffee out of my nose while laughing, a skill i'm very proud of :D

I did that with Stella a few months ago - it really hurts :)

Great OP! great result actually - get you mag a little closer to home, and you never know it mark spark an interest.

Ant

Bit like when the philosopher Bertrand Russell was asked for his religion for a form. Russell said "agnostic" to which the form filler replied "Ah yes, we all worship him in our own way don't we, Sir?". That remark had Russell chuckling to himself all day apparently.

Yes, I get this astronomy / astrology confusion frequently. my classic response (especially if one is in polite company is).......you are slighly confused, Astronomy is science and Astrolgy is a significant component of the male genitalia.....and the two are not inter-changable.

Just think though....

If you had gone into a corner shop a few hundred years ago the shopkeeper might just have said...

"You don't really believe the Earth is round do you? Any fool can see that it's flat".

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing? :)

My previous neighbour used to regale me with such questions... usually after a certain TV series. <G> Sadly he'd often totally got the wrong end of the stick. <sigh>. But, if you had a spare half hour, he'd tell you just what a SMART guy he was, how quickly he was able to grasp new and complex subjects... Much as one wants to help people, sometimes the pain is too great. :D

Archived