Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

"So you believe is astronomy do you?"

palebluedot

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Astronogy, astrolomy? Whatever!

(Mind you, a few years back I did earn quite a bit of pocket money drawing up astrological birth charts for people, and interpreting them. And the mathematics of astrology are very much the same as those for astronomy.)

(Mind you, a few years back I did earn quite a bit of pocket money drawing up astrological birth charts for people, and interpreting them. And the mathematics of astrology are very much the same as those for astronomy.)

400-500 years ago Keplar and Galileo would have done much the same. But then again, there were also a lot of people burnt as witches. Get with the times!

With all respect, I would consider that as ripping people off (as naive as they may have been). I also doubt whether astrologers have much of an understanding of mathematics.

I had one of those classic moments walking home from the high street today. I popped into Smiths for this months AN and on the way back I went into the corner shop, the owner (who I have been chatty with for years) asked me what my mag was. I told him Astronomy Now and that he had never sold it. To which he replied "So you believe in astronomy do you?".

To be fair, by the time I had recovered from my hysteria, he had realised his mistake and offered to add it to his magazine shelf in future :D

Had to share.

I believe in the heavenly bodies in Playboy and the like...

...I'll get me coat.

With all respect, I would consider that as ripping people off.

If an idiot would like to pay for my astro kit I would do astrological charts, after all the money would be spent on a scope to do some ASTROMOMY not the other 'A' word or other mumbo jumbo.

What is fascinating, on purely theoretical terms, is that there is much agreement on what is a dubious and shoddy 'science' - namely, creationism, astrology, homeopathy, Kirlian photography, dowsing, ufology, Holocaust denialism etc - and yet there is often an absence or active disagreement on the general criteria that these judgments should be based upon.

It is probably not very 'useful' for scientist to be debating these issues, but a even a quick scan of the more respectable literature highlights half a dozen or so interpretations on just what a science is and is not (Philosophy of science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Fascinating stuff.

When I told my neighbours that I was looking through telescopes, she asked me if was looking for little green men.

I haven't dared let them around for a viewing.

You should, after putting some toy aliens somewhere you can focus your scope on.

Or tell them, at length, about the LGM1 pulsar, the WOW signal and the like and then show them Saturn.

There is of course a striking similarity in the two ... one is to predict the days events based on position of stars and the other predicts the amount of cloud cover based on any new equipment purchased!

I Thank (atheist) deity, I don't work for "WHS". I'd tremble every time

an "Astronomer" (fellow nerdy-looking guy?) came into the shop! :)

NICE assistants aside, I tend to refuse FREE chocolate in bookshops.

I'm becoming enough of a "fat so-and-so" these days... :D

What is fascinating, on purely theoretical terms, is that there is much agreement on what is a dubious and shoddy 'science' - namely, creationism, astrology, homeopathy, Kirlian photography, dowsing, ufology, Holocaust denialism etc - and yet there is often an absence or active disagreement on the general criteria that these judgments should be based upon.

It is probably not very 'useful' for scientist to be debating these issues, but a even a quick scan of the more respectable literature highlights half a dozen or so interpretations on just what a science is and is not (Philosophy of science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Fascinating stuff.

You left out Morris Dancing. I really do believe in Morris Dancing ...

Capricorn? You mean that time of the year when the Sun is in Sagittarius? :D

Excellent!

I just looked up the Sun's position at the date and time I was born - I'm ostensibly "Pisces" but the Sun was slap bang in the middle of Aquarius!! :)

I'm going to use this next time someone asks me what "star sign" I am :)

Sad to say, on the topic of astrologers, I read somewhere that there are 9 times more astrologers in the United States than there are astronomers...sad really, people would rather believe in hebby geeby, hocus pocus, you-do-voo-do, stand up kneel down cross yer legs and say ommm horse droppings - than science, reason, evidence or even common sense

Not the nine o'clock news featured some alternative star signs like "Quango" in a spoof colour supplement they once produced. Brilliant stuff

I remember this - I think I still have the NOT! book somewhere. Biro was another if i recall.

Excellent!

I just looked up the Sun's position at the date and time I was born - I'm ostensibly "Pisces" but the Sun was slap bang in the middle of Aquarius!! :D

I'm going to use this next time someone asks me what "star sign" I am :)

Strictly speaking that would be your 'sun sign'. I don't believe but know your enemy.

Archived