Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

e-petition - stargazing

Jammy

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone. I well remember some 20 years ago when driving through darkest west sussex, I had occasion to stop for a while in a layby. Getting out of the car I chanced to glance up at the sky and I was amazed to see the milky way in all it's glory. It is a sad fact that, even living in a "country" area, I have never been able to repeat that view. I sign the pettition with pleasure, if not with optimism.

.....signed what....?:eek::confused::D

This has been here for weeks and everytime I click on this link it takes me here and folks are saying "I just signed it" etc.....making me think that merely posting here is suffice: a bit of clarity please for some of us "challenged' members!:):rolleyes: ( and of course I think there's ott light "pollution" in many places)

I attempted to sign the petition and in an unexpected fit of honesty, clicked on "no" after the question about British citizenship or residency. A rather autocratic sort of message in a particularly threatening hue appeared stating, "You must be a British citizen or normally live in the UK to create or sign e-petitions." Am I to be denied participation because of some silly misunderstanding over two centuries ago which deprived me of British citizenship?

I would be delighted to emigrate in order to sign the petition but for the stipulation that one must normally live in the UK. I haven't yet managed to normally live anywhere; my best effort to date has been to live a trifle abnormally in Chicago.

All levity aside, I wanted to express my solidarity with this petition effort even if I can't add my signature.

Geoff

Hmmm...this would appear to be specifically a UK-based petition.:)

Well e-petitions is a system set up by the (previous) UK Government where if a petition gets a certain number of signatures it is actually raised in the House of Commons.

You're welcome to create an international petition if you want, i'm sure a lot of people on here would sign it (this is a UK based forum, is it not?). But there's no obligation that anything would be done about it. At least this way we get the chance that it could make it's way into government policy.

I'm new here, and this petition is great... where I live, I don't have much of a problem with light pollution. I live at the top of a cliff about 500 feet back, and NO street lights. I also have a nice wide deck to sit out in my wheelchair and stargaze. And with the wheels that I have, I can tilt my wheelchair back and be very comfortable as I watch the night sky... (can you say flat as a bed?) :) Now to just get some equipment... sigh.

DanaWheels

Hi everyone. This is my first post and I have signed the e-petition. I've also forwarded details to colleagues at work who may wish to add their names to the cause. BTW in Notts the county council has a current programme for consulting and turning off street lighting (we are due to have street lamps turned off or down from October this year). Turning off lighting makes financial sense also, they have said that the electricity bill for street lighting increased from £1.05m in 2004/05 to an estimated £5.04m in 2010/11 and pretty obvious energy prices will only continue to rise. Maybe others in different parts of the UK can check if their unitary or county council has a similar programme and if not suggest it and get councillors to pldge support. There's no harm doing things locally as well as signing this national e-petition. The details of the Notts programme can be read here -

http://www3.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/travelling/roads/road-design-and-maintenance/street-lighting/energy-saving-project/

Signed!

Am I right in thinking there's another one of these e-petitions against light pollution on the go? I'm sure I've signed another one recently.

Yeah, there's a way to go to reach 100,000. It's got until January next year though.

Archived