SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

e-petition - stargazing

Jammy

Just signed.

This thread mentioned M6 Manchester near the beginning.

I use the motorways near Manchester every couple of weeks or so where they have turned off the lights on several stretches, It is such a pleasure to drive without that glowing haze in your eyes.

It is all about breaking the myth that more light is better.

Having said that I hate these household energy saving bulbs. Don't get me started, Hg in landfill, Horrible colour, dim......

Back to the plot, I will pass this link on to non-astronomers as well.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3436 only another 96564 to go as of 22/04/2012. I'm sick to death of lights everywhere. And I live in countryside, what gets me is the twerps with floodlighting emanating from their drives or gardens . If you want light go & live in the town.

Stupid isnt it in the countryside, its the same in my village and for my village its the fault of damned idiots who have only lived in cities & towns moving out to the countryside in search of 'a better life' (not sure how moving helps but meh) but instead of changing to suit the countryside, they try to change the countryside into the very cities/towns they left in the first place. :D:mad::):mad:

And if you say anything about this all you get is the whole 'march of technology/progress' tripe along with the rest of the idiocies already highlighted in this very thread :):mad::(:mad:

Silly folks like that shouldnt be allowed to come to the countryside :D

/rant

EDIT: And its terrible for me living right across from the local village school, who seems to think they can expand exponetially without thinking aobut the increase in car traffic (leading to the damaged road) / the increase in (in)security lights that serve no purpose (and havent stopped the last 4 break ins at the place) / and that they own all the wifi channels from 1 to 13 within a good 200ft radius outside of their property, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Not to mention they dont seem to have worked out that blinds/curtains are there to keep heat and light in and so dont bother closing them, leading to a lovely glow to the south when anyones there and its dark.

/really the end of my ranting (begs the indulgence of any mods reading, please dont hit me with the mod stick)

Hi to everyone out there, brand new member, brand new telescope, a surprise birthday pressie. not a break in the clouds since april 17th. iwould like to sign e petition but going round in circles trying to find where to sign..... please help. thanks:icon_confused:

Hi to everyone out there, brand new member, brand new telescope, a surprise birthday pressie. not a break in the clouds since april 17th. iwould like to sign e petition but going round in circles trying to find where to sign..... please help. thanks:icon_confused:

Here ya go :DPetition

Hi to everyone out there, brand new member, brand new telescope, a surprise birthday pressie. not a break in the clouds since april 17th.
Hi Gavhunter - Welcome to SGL!!! (I suppose you're aware that anyone buying new kit is almost always a sure-fire guarantee for at least a fortnight of cloud?! :D Don't worry it WILL pass (eventually!)

Just signed, I think!!!!!!

LP is a great nuisance but the prime reasons I can think of are safety and crime prevention.

Am about to by a Meade ETX 80 telescope as a starter. Any for and against comments please?

Colindeeps

My local paper has a cover story this evening about street lights not working in part of the town and how all the residents are complaining to the coucil about it. <tut> they should be so lucky!!

My local paper has a cover story this evening about street lights not working in part of the town and how all the residents are complaining to the coucil about it. <tut> they should be so lucky!!

Wite into the paper then :)

Highlight how much money is getting saved as a result of the lights not working & how much clearer the sky wil lbe

You could throw in supporting arguments from police forces in the UK whose councils have cut lights at night to show that actually with the reduction in light crime fell

I agree completely with this idea, but why is the direct link is missing. I only found it from one of the other posts.

The link is in the OP (post 1 of this thread) and my sig :)

• 1 year later...

Archived