Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

e-petition - stargazing

Jammy

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must agree, light polution is a real problem in big cities. But one of the problems is local residents say they want the lights on for security reasons. but if more people were interested in star gazing they may find other means of feeling more secure in the dark hours. I have signed.

Make that now 3,123! with me being one of them. I'm now going to email my extended family, and invite them to sign up too, with the web address of the petition, and the BBC News article referred to above. Then I'll start on the neighbours, and work colleagues! If we all made an effort to raise this issue with friends, neighbours and colleagues, short of alienating them of course!, I'm sure we could really get this ball rolling! Just do it!

Signed. I don't know if any of you have seen this but somebody posted it on another forum i frequent:

Light Polution e-petition - Overclockers UK Forums

It seems that the petition being worded in such a way as to only talk about the astronomical benefits is putting a lot of people off. Sure, it's important. To us. Other people don't care about it. If we're going to sell it to them then we need to put forward the values that affect everyone - the energy costs, the material waste, the health risks, the impact on wildlife etc.

Signed. I don't know if any of you have seen this but somebody posted it on another forum i frequent:

Light Polution e-petition - Overclockers UK Forums

It seems that the petition being worded in such a way as to only talk about the astronomical benefits is putting a lot of people off. Sure, it's important. To us. Other people don't care about it. If we're going to sell it to them then we need to put forward the values that affect everyone - the energy costs, the material waste, the health risks, the impact on wildlife etc.

Reading most of the reactions from the other users on that forum makes me think we are fighting a losing battle :D At least there are a few on there that see sense.

Archived