Another night of bad seeing?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kev, I was out last night having a look at the comet and having a look round Ursa Major. About 8.45 I turned my little Mak on Mars and found the seeing not too bad, I put the 5mm Hyperion in, the seeing wasn't too bad, noticed the North polar cap has receded and could see dark markings to the North and South.

I struggled to find Comet Garradd, though it would be visible in 10 x 50's but nothing, so put the RA and Dec into the Mak, slewed - still nothing - so I searched around a little using the direction buttons and found it. I used the orbital elements from the Minor Planet site, but think the mount was a little out. Cheers Paul.

Cuz they always win.

I was touching wood while typing should be OK :blob10:

They've won here with the thin cloud. I'm saving myself for during the week, going to get some sleep under my belt since I'm practically asleep right now

Don't use a low resolution GFS forecast to indicate seeing and transparency for *your* location. That way leads to madness.

Using a horizontal visibility forecast chart will also lead you to madness, not really relevant to astronomical seeing.

Best bet? Get outside at, and I mean at, sunset. Look to the south west. That will show you how much high cloud there really is. Not looking bad? Throw your scopes out to cool.

Next, wait until the first stars become visible, and as you look from zenith down to the horizon, look at the stars and get an idea of scintillation, I.e. twinkling. That is a great guide to seeing.

Cheers

Ian

Yeah same here in the West Midlands, its a bit of "not worrying about work in the morning" night, its pretty good to be honest! :blob10:

Best night ive had in a few weeks anyway!

A lot better than recent but seeing a little unsteady.

Temps are set to drop slightly but staying clear during the week so lets hope things keep improving.

After a quick hour tonight I was mesmerised by the moon then looked at M103/M67/M34 open clusters and to top it all off split the double star of Castor.

Best seeing? Around 2:30 a.m. (local) based on lapse rate here in Gloucestershire.

If anyone is after Saturn tonight, give it an hour and I would suggest a clear run.

Adiabetic lapse will stabilise by then.

Cheers

Ian

Archived