Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars and four volcanoes

lukebl

Hi all,

This is a capture of Mars I managed this evening, using a 2x TAL Barlow and a 3x Televue Barlow stacked together, on my 254mm f/4.7 Newtonian (c. 7.2m focal length). My best Mars pic of the season, and pushing my luck, I thought, using 6x Barlows. Testament to the quality of TAL and Televue. Well, what can you do if you can't afford a big Schmidt-Cass!

It's around 3000 frames, captured with a DFK21AU618 cam, stacked in Registax and processed in Photoshop CS3. What really struck me after the stacking process were the 4 big volcanoes (Olympus Mons, Ascreaus Mons, Pavonis Mons and Arsai Mons) showing clearly above the mist/cloud layer on the plains below. Imagine what the view from them must be like?

6994550145_9116d414eb_z.jpg

Thanks, guys. I think that's about as much as I can expect with the current setup, but it's better than I could have imagined achieving a couple of years ago.

Archived