NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The true Cost to the beginner - a salutory tale

its ironic actually, i was just browsing " backyard astronomers guide" in bed last night. at the back in its summing up of the book and concluding words. it warns of becoming a collector rather than a astronomer.

of people they know who's set ups are so extravegent that it takes to long to set up so they dont bother often, or people who have large collections of eyepieces that spend more time being neatly arranged and admired than in a telescope.

BUT often i would imagine especially us brits,need things to do with 75% of our time being cloudy.

(im not saying your set up is over the top by the way steve!,far from it.) just funny i was reading this seems to fit with the theme.

as others say it can be a very very expensive game, but also can be one of the cheapest.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest - unlike a lot of other hobbies I guess- theres very few recurring costs now- yes I guess eventually I'll want a bigger scope- perhaps A/P gear but I can honestly say - I can't think of anything else I need now- so from here on in just petrol and coffee - how many other hobbies can you say that about.

The thing I always say to the wife when she wants something is just get it - it might seem a lot now but in two years you've forgotten what it costs and you've had what you want (this is my buttering up strategy so I can get my own toys of course lol) :D

Yes, it is a bit of a shock, and all from buying JUST a scope

You have to watch you budget, well I do now, so now limiting myself to just one item a month.

Many, many moons ago, I had my camera gear valued for insurance purposes, got a shock of my life: £5,600

And most of that was brought as used equipment, one or two bits at a time, over quite a few years.

So, peeps, make sure you kit IS insured as a seperate item

where on earth are you all buying this stuff!!:D

seem's everything i want is out of stock,iv'e spent more on phone calls than bit's:D

having said that the bit's i have bought exploded my budget in no time at all.......if i die someone will get a real bargain if my wife sell's it all for the price i told her it cost me:D:D

Will heed the OP's warning. Part of the reason I ordered the scope I have is that it cost all my 'spare' money so I don't have any cash left to dribble away on these other bits.

I'm sure better eyepieces, reference books will follow but either as presents or way down the line.

Alternative strategies

Eye Pieces - use the ones you have until your more experienced and realise what you want - cost Nil

Books - use the internet - plenty of free advice about - cost Nil

Lazer tool - stop showing off you really don't need this - cost Nil

Fleece Hat - use your old wooly bobble hat at the back of the wardrobe- cost Nil

Ironing Chair to observe- use the patio chair you already had - cost Nil

Flight Case - theres enough **** in the shed to have made 10 boxes for your gear - cost nil

Watching the skies at a dark sky site with your bins and a flask of coffee - Priceless

I am too scared to add up the cost of my gear accumulated in the few years or so I have been observing. It will be a lot but I have used the sale of books and other items from previous hobbies, birthdays, christmas etc to fund the purchases so there's no guilt.

I have a few 'rules' (obviously bent occasionally):

• Use it or lose it. If I have not used an item or it's not what I thought it was etc (this happens less nowadays) then I sell it and use the funds to buy other gear that I will use or save the money for those snap decisions like rare used gear that sells quickly. it's surprising how selling a few unused sundries can raise enough money for what you really want.
  • Buy second hand. I generally buy kit in good used condition. This allows me to reduce the purchase price and have a better chance of selling again at almost no loss; I see buying good quality used gear (I use Televue and BGO eyepieces and OOUK scopes with good mirrors/focusers) as a way of storing cash in a more enjoyable way than a bank account. There's a ready market for good quality used astro gear.
  • Buy with all your kit in mind. I have eyepieces, finders and filters that can be used and work well on all of my scopes.
  • DIY where you can. You can save a substantial amount of money making things yourself. They often work out better than the market options. I believe my home made dob base for my 16" scope is better than anything available from China.
  • Limit your gear. I have a strict 10 eyepiece and three scope maximum. This may seem extravagant but that's just three eyepieces per scope and a 6" scope for grab and go/wide field, a 6" scope for planetary / lunar / doubles and a 16" scope for fainter targets. Again I'd have to sell something if I want to buy something so it works well for me. I certainly use all of the eyepieces and scopes on a regular basis so no guilt there either!!

Just had a look at the pictures of your observatory, nice build! Recognise the windmill behind, I live just outside Machynlleth.

Yes that belongs to my neighbour, Pete. It must be windy up here, the turbine paid for itself in a third of the usual time.......

Well I bought a second Tal 1 for £50. Then I thought I would like a refractor, that was £140. Then I sold it for £91 because I didnt like the ca. Then I bought a 150 dob ,cost £200. then

I wanted a skymax 127 supatrak £300. Add in lenses, filters and a collimator and it doesnt bear thinking about. But then I dont smoke or drink.

I buy used, cant afford all new, so have to make do

Tal-1 £50

10mm wa £6

6" OO + HQ3 £72

Did push the boat out on two new Baarders 2" £74 each

and a RA 9x60 Finder £68

Might get a SW ST80 and piggyback onto the OO as an intro too Astro imaging.

And thats me done for quite awhile methinks, unless I stumble accross an affordable used 10 or 12" Dob

I started last year, and my list of equipment to date came to about £650

Skywatcher Evostar 120 refractor / EQ5 mount

SW Supper plossl 10mm, 17mm, 25mm & 32mm

BST Explorer ED 60 degree 8mm

SW Deluxe 2X Barlow

9x50 skywatcher finder

Helios Naturesport plus 10 x 50 WA binos

SW Light Pollution filter

Baader Neutral Density Moon filter

UK weather has been rubbish this winter so not been able to use my stuff like I had hoped but the important thing being it doesn't have a shelf life date, and it will all get used in time.

I can easily see how this hobby "seduces" you into giving up more hard earned cash...... You only have to look through the astronomy forums & magazines & see pictures of "owners" standing proudly & grining from ear to ear next to their pride & joy scopes that are the size of a scud missile plus launcher.

It is very easy to gaup with envy or even yearn for better equipment. Despite this my modest little set up is ideal for observing in my little south facing back garden. I can't even see Polaris as my house is in the way so any ideas for upgrading & purchasing a Synscan GOTO Upgrade Kit for my EQ5 are gone as I can't polar align.

Despite that my modest set up allows me to casually observe, learn & enjoy a glass of wine or 2, or 3 and have the comfort in knowing that after observing my bed is less than a few metres away.

Despite that my modest set up allows me to casually observe, learn & enjoy a glass of wine or 2, or 3 and have the comfort in knowing that after observing my bed is less than a few metres away.

Nothing wrong with modest

As for the wine. well, one can't e denied that, defo not on.

And how many nights have you used it all?

Can be frustrating with all the cloud we get here in the UK... However, it's a dream hobby with so much to see and so much to learn.

Enjoy the moments and remember - you can't take ya money with ya! :D

It's not just the UK Pat, I live in Brisbane and the weather has been shocking all summer since I bought my new scope. Lots of cloud and rain. Luckily though the winters here are usually very clear and mild (mid 20s) so I'm looking ahead to April onwards!

I totally agree with the op though. I've been the same, buying lots of accessories.

Tell me about it!

Started with a MAK 127/Goto. Bought the usual accessories.

Decided an ST80 was needed.

Fancied a dabble with planet/moon imaging so bought the QHY132E.

Now the options being considered are 200PDS or ED80/HEQ5PRO, guider cam, LX CCD with a view to nebula imaging.

Oh, and an obsy is planned later in the year ...

As my dad would have said - "spent more money than daft Mick."

He would also have said "You can't take it with you."

Clear skies.

Ordered my first scope January the 5th Skywatcher 250pds, eq6, 10 & 17mm baader hyperions and a deluxe Skywatcher barlow.

Since then I've added -

Power Tank

Microsoft Lifecam

Spc900

Flight cases

Foam which cost more than the cases

St80

Filters

Making evert photon count

Turn left at Orion

Various tools

And my shopping list still has

Eos 550 body

Guide scope mount

Synguider

Laptop

Filters

Shed/obsy

Longer term

Imaging Refractor

Ccd camera

Filter wheel

Dark sky site

And finally and MOST important lottery ticket!!!

I came new into this hobby only a good few weeks ago with a budget of £300 or so - and when I sat down and totalled up the cost (so far) it has shocked me even though for the last few weeks it has been like Christmas every day I come home- a new present in the letter box. I feel a period of Austerity beckoning

(don't take these as gospel - I'm too worried swmbo will catch me withe Visa bills :)

£270 Skywatcher Skyliner 200p

£29 Cheshire Colimator

£29 Premium Barlow

£20 7.5mm Plossl

£92 Baader Hyperion 8mm

£8 24mm FTRs

£40 Tal Barlow

£40 15mm BT Explorer

£76 32mm 2" Panaview

£34 Reigl Quickfinder

£26 Ironing Stool for Viewing

£22 small collapsable table

£12 Book TLAO

£5 Phillips Dark Sky map

£6 Book - Phillips gazing with a telescope

£6 Book - Collins pocket guide to the night sky

£34 Flight Case for lens case

£15 various torches / notebooks

£3 Fleece hat

£10 laser pointing tool

£777 in less than two months and thats just off the top of my head I'll bet theres more- budget more than doubled

For anyone thinking of starting this great hobby you absolutely DO NOT have to get most of this gear I could have managed pretty well with £300 I think - but be aware the pull of spending on gadgets and gizmos is strong with this hobby. Do your budgets then expect to exceed them :D

Great post! I daren't even being to work out how much I have dropped in the past year... I daren't even imagine what she'd say if she found out - probably something to do with packing my bags.

Would say that is about right, take the cost of scope and double it.

If you get an expensive scope then you look at decent eyepieces and these cost. You also think of better mounts.

One of the reasons why I think a beginner should be advised to go cheap first until they know what they are geting into. Too many get advised to spend a bit more and get this one that's a bit bigger.

We always say the 10mm and barlow are poor, the impression being replace them, but you really need about 4 eyepieces (say ~120). If the person gets a better barlow then more cost (~40). Reflectors need a collimator, (30). That is close to 200 on top. What's the cost of a 130/150 Dob ?

Archived