Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The true Cost to the beginner - a salutory tale

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have gone to the extent of setting up a dedicated astro bank account that gets a small transfer each month. At least I know the cash is ring-fenced - no difficult negotiations to go through! (in theory) But I see no end to the spending - I have a hungry scope and a camera to feed!

I have gone to the extent of setting up a dedicated astro bank account that gets a small transfer each month. At least I know the cash is ring-fenced - no difficult negotiations to go through! (in theory) But I see no end to the spending - I have a hungry scope and a camera to feed!

this is effectively what I do too Agnes. no guilt and no worrying about explaining what I have bought as it's all 'legit'.

I suppose I've always been pretty good at budgeting (or at least my missus is :D)

I spent £130 on my Dob last week, and I've just managed to raise another £25 for a 70mm Frac OTA from Astroboot. But that'll be it until next month when it's my Birthday when, hopefully, I'll be getting a few more pennies.

Then that'll be that for big spending ... at least until Xmas :)

As this is my second foray into cloudwatching and spending money, I've promised her indoors that I'll only buy stuff that's funded by the selling of other stuff.

I'm amazed at how much junk I have squirrelled away, and even more amaze at how much money the nutters on eBay will give me for it!

ive a very new newbie to all this, i started looking a few weeksa ago with a £500 budget... ended up spending nearly £800 on the scope and a few hundred on other bits and pieces.. but this is unlike my previous hobbies.. i ride mountain bikes as well and thats not cheap.. bikes cost a fortune (got a marin full suspension and whyte carbon hardtail at the mo), brake pads are upto £20 a set and in a good summers week i can go through a set.. tyres are over £40 and i go through a back tyre every 200 miles... at least when ive finished my wish list there wont be any more to spend for a while.. or at least i bloo*y hope so!

As this is my second foray into cloudwatching and spending money, I've promised her indoors that I'll only buy stuff that's funded by the selling of other stuff.

I'm amazed at how much junk I have squirrelled away, and even more amaze at how much money the nutters on eBay will give me for it!

I hear ya, I'm equally amazed... but not complaining :D

It can mount up to a lot but 300 will get you started. You can find free info online, including some free books, atlas, telrad maps... You do have to print them but it will be significantly cheaper.

I would say a 6" dob, basic led torch painted red with nail varnish, a couple of EPs and a barlow will get anyone going for a while. Specially if we consider the lack of opportunities to observe due to weather conditions, it does take time for a beginner to stretch a 6" to it's limits. With 250 GBP you'll still have some change in your pocket.

Anything other then that is nice but not really "necessary" to get started or even to have some quality views for sometime.

Hi Steve,

In the land of black stuff, odd shaped balls and voices of power, I'm amazed someone from the Valley's would admit to wearing a wooly hat to the world. What is Wales coming too, is everyone turning into a Southern Softy.:)

Keep watching the ski's.:D

The problem I had was that I was relatively ok with the 130p supatrak I had.

But then when I got the ED81s (for a bargain £500!) the rubbish eyepieces etc. just weren't up to the job. So I reckon I've spent the same again on bits.

This place doesn't help. You're all horrible enablers the lot of you. SGL is like the devil on my shoulder :-)

I wonder how much of this goes beyond the hobby of astronomy into the hobby of collecting?

I'm new to this game but I have other hobbies where I see the same sort of thing. For example I've been an amateur photographer since the 80s, I often see new guys buying a Canon 5D MK2 or a 7D and then buying a collection of professional lenses, flash, reflectors, software etc. Whilst this is all good stuff it seems that buying the stuff and measuring its performance becomes the hobby for many rather than actually using it for taking photos. Much of this is not really necessary as you can achieve a lot in photography with a relatively inexpensive DSLR and a prime lens or a simple zoom. A small kit can keep you going for years without running out of things to photograph.

It does make me wonder if astronomy is the same. Really with a basic 6" or 8" Dob and the eyepieces it comes with - would you really run out of things to do in astronomy in a couple of months? I suspect not. Though I am not innocent myself having several lenses to go with more than one camera and let's not get started on my guitars... Of late though I've decided to stop adding to my collections for these hobbies and instead to get the most out of what I have. I am nowhere near to exhausting the possibilities of my current gear... Hopefully for the sake of my wallet I can apply this principle to my new hobby of astronomy... we'll see. :D

Hi Steve,

In the land of black stuff, odd shaped balls and voices of power, I'm amazed someone from the Valley's would admit to wearing a wooly hat to the world. What is Wales coming too, is everyone turning into a Southern Softy.:)

Keep watching the ski's.:D

Its a really small hat though DC and theres not a bobble in site lol :p

Is that somewhere off the Heads of Valley Road?

If it is, I might just pop along or I'll make the next one - give me a heads up when that is, please.

You'll recognise me, I'll be walking with me hands in pockets whilst the wife carries the scope on her back.

David

To be honest, I have decided to keep away from here now for a bit, there is more talk on here about material possessions than there ever is to do with astronomy, and I have been sucked in to it. Where do you stop? Where is the line? How much money do you spend before you realise you can never really get the views you would really like?

Last year I thought I thought I was going to die and went through some very, very nasty treatment to stay alive, it seems to have worked. Getting my first scope since I was a kid and had part shares in a 6 inch Newton was my little treat from my family for finishing my treatment. I love my scope, I love getting out there and and just looking at it all...WOW.

There are just so many more important things in life than a new filter, pod or eyepiece... I just don't want to spend my life wanting things.

caldwell 14

you have got it right [still have my 10x50's]I go out to darker parts of glasgow outskirts and just sit back ,chill and enjoy the ride , it amazes me the how many people just forget to look up and see what is there [just with your eyes and or a set of bino's you can see wonderous things ]

I wonder how much of this goes beyond the hobby of astronomy into the hobby of collecting?

I'm new to this game but I have other hobbies where I see the same sort of thing. For example I've been an amateur photographer since the 80s, I often see new guys buying a Canon 5D MK2 or a 7D and then buying a collection of professional lenses, flash, reflectors, software etc. Whilst this is all good stuff it seems that buying the stuff and measuring its performance becomes the hobby for many rather than actually using it for taking photos. Much of this is not really necessary as you can achieve a lot in photography with a relatively inexpensive DSLR and a prime lens or a simple zoom. A small kit can keep you going for years without running out of things to photograph.

It does make me wonder if astronomy is the same. Really with a basic 6" or 8" Dob and the eyepieces it comes with - would you really run out of things to do in astronomy in a couple of months? I suspect not. Though I am not innocent myself having several lenses to go with more than one camera and let's not get started on my guitars... Of late though I've decided to stop adding to my collections for these hobbies and instead to get the most out of what I have. I am nowhere near to exhausting the possibilities of my current gear... Hopefully for the sake of my wallet I can apply this principle to my new hobby of astronomy... we'll see. :D

That's exactly how it goes and I'm very guilty of it as well. The truth is I like quality stuff... Got into astronomy a couple of years ago and soon I was adding Televue Ethos to my collection. Started on photography later on and have 3 L series lenses, a couple of primes and 2 DSLRs. Last month realised I spend more time moaning at the weather then using my gear so now I finally decided to take the plunge and get a bass (been meaning to learn how to play one since I was 17). So I got a starter kit on the mail and I'm already browsing the net drowling over some nice (expensive) Warwicks, Fender Deluxes, Ibanez... and I can't even play a bass line yet!

The more I think about it, I realize my true hobby is shopping. Oh, and gear testing too!

Ducati Monster £10,000

Ducati St4s £3750

Tax discs £120/ year

Insurance £400/year

Tyres £200/year

Servicing average £600/year

Clothing including wife's £3000

Luggage £500

Optimate battery chargers £120

Paddock stand £120

That's before starting on fuel, ear plugs, visors, replacement helmets every 5 years and various custom additions to the bike.

Now I've looked at that lot I'm convinced I should get rid of them.

You think astronomy is expensive. My 8" Dob, 32mm skywatcher EP, Baader zoom, Cheshire, Rigel star finder wouldn't even pay for one of my bikes major service this year !!

Archived