Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The true Cost to the beginner - a salutory tale

I came new into this hobby only a good few weeks ago with a budget of £300 or so - and when I sat down and totalled up the cost (so far) it has shocked me even though for the last few weeks it has been like Christmas every day I come home- a new present in the letter box. I feel a period of Austerity beckoning

(don't take these as gospel - I'm too worried swmbo will catch me withe Visa bills :)

£270 Skywatcher Skyliner 200p

£29 Cheshire Colimator

£29 Premium Barlow

£20 7.5mm Plossl

£92 Baader Hyperion 8mm

£8 24mm FTRs

£40 Tal Barlow

£40 15mm BT Explorer

£76 32mm 2" Panaview

£34 Reigl Quickfinder

£26 Ironing Stool for Viewing

£22 small collapsable table

£12 Book TLAO

£5 Phillips Dark Sky map

£6 Book - Phillips gazing with a telescope

£6 Book - Collins pocket guide to the night sky

£34 Flight Case for lens case

£15 various torches / notebooks

£3 Fleece hat

£10 laser pointing tool

£777 in less than two months and thats just off the top of my head I'll bet theres more- budget more than doubled

For anyone thinking of starting this great hobby you absolutely DO NOT have to get most of this gear I could have managed pretty well with £300 I think - but be aware the pull of spending on gadgets and gizmos is strong with this hobby. Do your budgets then expect to exceed them :D

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think I'm going the same way , about to order my dob and trying to cut down on the extras but they're gadgets aren't they so I can't resist and then I think I may as well pay the extra and get better quality !! , Gotta try and do it monthly ... why 2 barlows ?

It may seem allot but as you said you could have spent just £300 but even £800 is not much to spend on a new hobby compared to others. Imaging you had chose Golf £800 would not cover your clubs and years green fees for a year. At least now you can enjoy your new hobby for many years to come at no extra cost, well until you want a new scope, observatory, imaging equipment,,, I'll stop now!

Welcome to the Light Wallet Club. Seriously though, some of your purchases are maybe nice to have and not necessities, but can't blame you for getting 'em - I'm sure you put them to good use!

We all do it - and then a year later, we look for upgrades!

And how many nights have you used it all?

Can be frustrating with all the cloud we get here in the UK... However, it's a dream hobby with so much to see and so much to learn.

Enjoy the moments and remember - you can't take ya money with ya! :D

Think I'm going the same way , about to order my dob and trying to cut down on the extras but they're gadgets aren't they so I can't resist and then I think I may as well pay the extra and get better quality !! , Gotta try and do it monthly ... why 2 barlows ?

got carried away a bit to be honest when I found a Tal - which is really good to be fair - now I've got a spare - haven't tried stacking them ye

t - not sure whether it would work but who knows lol

And how many nights have you used it all?

Can be frustrating with all the cloud we get here in the UK... However, it's a dream hobby with so much to see and so much to learn.

Enjoy the moments and remember - you can't take ya money with ya! :)

to be fair - I'm outside most nights when I'm not away (condtions permitting of course) - if just even with the bins for short periods and when I went on my first dark sky safari most of it - came with me.

I know I didn't need it all - but now I've got what I wanted for a while so should be good to go - doesn't need refilling or resubscribing to so investment made now to enjoy- got some company to come with me aswel and looking forward to first meet with S Wales group shortly.

Played Golf for a number of years - I know how dear that can be - I've no regrets - really enjoying it so far :D

I don't think spending £777 on a hobby is too extravagant, just the short amount of time it took. But if you slow down now, maybe next month you can get a full set of Televue Naglers or a nice Ethos. The good thing is most things in your list will last a life time, if you dont get hit by upgrade fever. Happy gazing.

I must admit this struck a chord with me - not so much on the telescope side (just got mine last week and much to learn with what I've got), but I also took up photography and bought a DSLR a couple of years ago - and have been collecting "stuff" ever since! Dread to think how much is in my large camera bag now!!!! I'd get quite a nice lens for £777.................!!!

Well I am in the sam boat as th OP had 2 nights viewing in 8 weeks.

£1000=Secondhand Orion Optics 10" Newt with 3 ep's 6mm Vixen LV, 15mm and 25mm, CG5 goto mount and GPs Module, 2 Barlows 2x and 3x, custom built crate and transport system for it all, collimator night torch, Planisphere.

£375=Skywatcher Evostar 120mm with EQ3-2 mount.

£275 Ikharus 80mm ED shortube Scope

£40 secondhand EQ mount for above scope

£99 Skywatcher Panaview 2" 38mm Panaview.

£110 Nikon 10-22x50 bino's

£15 Left turn at Orion

£21 Making every photon count

£42 Telrad

So, in 8 weeks I have emptied my bank account of just shy of 2k.

I still have my Astrophotography gear to buy too, along with other lenses powerpacks and other accessories, so it looks like I will easily hit 5k by the end of the year.

But you are right. A small book and the MkI eyeball are really all you need, followed by a reasonable Pair of Binoculars.

I think you will spend as much as you feel you can afford, or want, for any hobby you partake of.

Hehe - this really strikes a chord with me too.

In two months I have aqcuired two telescopes, plus assorted eps, barlows, t-rings, an imaging source camera, as well as a load of books.

Having to really restrain myself for a few months, but it is heavily light polluted where I live, and am seriously considering moving!

And after all this expense (actual and planned), I have had two decent nights (notwithstanding the LP), and mainly used my old binoulars :).

Still, I have some kit that will last a lifetime, and already learnt so much (and realised just how little I know...)!

And the look of wonder on my wife's face as she took her first look at the moon through the 8" SCT - that was beyond any price :D.

Love this hobby!

Personally I have only used the UHC a couple of times, I am still to find a nebula it works well on. For me it darkens the sky a bit much, hence the Neo filter. I am sure the UHC will come into its own with more use. So yes its fine but you may want to ask somebody who has had more use from one. Good luck.

I spent 90% of my money on telescopes and astro accessories. The rest I just wasted.

Being serious, I think this hobby can cost you as much or as little as you want it to! I'm not going to say how much I'd spend if I won the lottery as the missus clobbered me the last time I said that!! :D

Wait till you build an observatory to put it all in....

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-observatories/170446-shocking-observatory-costing.html

Can be an expensive hobby.........and it's still not finished.

Just had a look at the pictures of your observatory, nice build! Recognise the windmill behind, I live just outside Machynlleth.

I'm trying to raise funds for a new scope by fleabaying lots of old junk - *ahem* i mean items that I no longer need. None of it astronomy related of course :D

Keeps wifey off my case ("no i didn't raid the kids' inheritance to buy it") and it's kinda recycling which can only be good!

Hi...well I'm in the market for a scope. The way I have been looking at it is: I spent $3000NZ (1500 quid) on a fancy dSLR camera that I have used quite a bit but which is now out of date, we spent a similar amount on a LCD TV, which we haven't really used much (nothing any good on TV to watch) and is now out of date and fairly much worthless, DVD recorders - out of date, broken, worthless, computers (and the kids i-pods, i-this, i-that)...out of date and worthless. Clothes:eek:. CLOTHES!!!..well the latest fashions can cost quite a bit can't they - nek minute...worthless, down the op shop - not me you understand, I get mine FROM the op shop.

So, I recon I can justify something similar for a hobby that will last a lifetime, keep me off the streets, out in the healthy, bracing, fresh air, instead of infront of the out-of-date TV.

Does that sound convincing...its a practice run for her indoors?:D

Crikey...I'm a Nebula. I always wanted to be one of those!

Archived