Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M 51 with GSO 300 mm newt.

Luis Campos

Hi all,

Yesterday I went to my favorite dark (ish) site armed with my GSO 300 mm newt. and Canon 350D.

Although the sky conditions were not ideal (poor transparency and very high turbulence) I managed to take 13x5 min. exposures of M 51...then the fog rolled in...

well, here goes the result, hope you like it:

Cheers,

Luís

post-25681-133877734811_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for your kind words :mad:

I wish that the transparency was better, it's a shame....when i'm at home imaging in suburban skies I get some really great crystal clear skies, although limited by PL, when out on the field when it's supposed to go deep i'm getting lousy sky ( Murphy law...) :):(:p

I tried to pull out the dimmer shell of the galaxy but there wasn't enough signal, still quite pleased with this result :D

Best wishes,

Luís

That is a beautiful image of M51. This was meant to be my target for this evening, sadly the expected ~5% cloud cover turned out to be more like 99.999997% :(

I love that you have captured some detail too on maybe half a dozen other fuzzies :)

That's a wonderful image Luis. What ISO did you use? My images always seem to have so much more noise than this even after 30-40 subs.

Hi Rik,

Usually I never go for more than 400 ISO, that's the case here, and it's only 13 subs.

By the experiences I've been doing I'd say that 200 to 400 ISO is the sweet spot as you end up with much better star colors and a tad better dinamic range, lower noise and cleaner final image.

Let me tell you, when I choose the telescope to go with the 350D I had this in mind, a large aperture and fast F/ ratio exactly because of this, I have now a Alatir Astro 200 mm f/4 imaging newt. and this beast (GSO 300 mm f/5 newt.) that I use mainly for planetary imaging...sometimes I take it for a ride on deep sky :D

Cheers,

Luís

Archived