SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 7 CHAT THREAD

Kai

Well its been a productive day... finally got round to building the serial shutter cable release for the Canon 400D (the other is fed under the floor of the observatory and ain't coming out) - plus some power distribution at the mount, and did a dry run of my 127 Mak rig I'll be bringing to SGL7 next weekend... Totally untested under the skies, so basically it will be "first light" for the finder guider etc - Hopefully it will perform OK - If it all falls apart I'm not that bothered, I'll just get drunk and pig out on jaffa cakes :)

post-23388-133877748529_thumb.jpg

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No problem, just remember the 'no white lights' rule if you stay until its dark.

That's no problem I'll bring my red head torch along with me.

Is it too cheeky if I bring my Binos and Tripod as well? I've yet to buy a scope.

That's no problem I'll bring my red head torch along with me.

Is it too cheeky if I bring my Binos and Tripod as well? I've yet to buy a scope.

As Psychobilly says, join in the fun and bring your bino's. If you plan to drive off during the night it would be best to park your car near the site entrance away from the observing area.

5 days to go and preparations are going well ;)

Just put the finishing touches to the "shoes" for my mount tripod (to stop it sinking into the grass under its own weight). Nothing too fancy, just three bits of hardwood with a countersunk hole in each for the leg tip. Finished them off by spraying matt black paint, should be dry in a couple of hours.

All filters and optics have been cleaned, my EPs were well mucky.

Not quite got all the food yet (leaving the fresh stuff till Fri), but I have many, many jaffa cakes (a whole carton) so peeps are welcome to stop by for a cuppa and a chat. Ive got a whole case of stella going undrunk (cant stand the stuff!), so I will bring that along too. I'll be having the Vod and JD ;)

5 days to go and preparations are going well ;)

.Ive got a whole case of stella going undrunk (cant stand the stuff!), so I will bring that along too. I'll be having the Vod and JD ;)

I'm sure there will be many takers for the Stella.....me included:D

This is what I use. A simple block of wood for each leg, mine is 8" x 5" x 1½".

A hole drilled in each corner to peg it down with tent pegs (wire ones), and a countersunk dimple in the centre for the tripod to sit in and not move about.

I setup with a compass, and when I'm happy with the position I peg down the wooden blocks.

Should I need to move the setup for any reason, the blocks remain accurately placed ready to place the tripod in the dimples.

Very lightweight and takes up little space.

I know it sounds silly, but how do you move the scope around to get it pointing north, twiddle it about, polar align etc and put the blocks underneath without evrything going squiffy?! ;)

Archived