Any reason not to buy CPC925

After reading through posts on here and other forums I've decided to go with a Celestron CPC 925 over the Meade LX90 10 inch.

I would describe myself as a casual observer these days, interested in viewing and the odd webcam image but not looking to start any serious astro-photography. TBH it's as much for my family's kids as it is for me.

Their doesn't seem to be a great deal between the capabilities or optics of the scopes and my decision is based purely on the poor customer service people seem to be having with Meade. Living where I do and with no local stockist I want a manufacturer/distributor that is reliable.

It's saved in my basket. Any reason why I shouldn't proceed to checkout?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlike most people I'll go the other way, I had a 10" LX90 which sadly was stolen. After asking around I decided on a Celestron C11 for visual with maybe a little planetary webcam imaging throw in. In all honesty the meade always gave pin sharp views and there seemed to be a higher contrast level with the UHTC coatings in comparison to the XLT C11, and yes my C11 is perfectly collimated. Another thing is the focus, I have had to invest in a Moonlite focusser as the focus seems to be very 'floppy', something i never experienced with the LX90. The Meade OTA also seemed more solid the C11 feels very light and flimsy in comparison. Perhaps it's just me expecting too much of the scope or maybe I just had a very very good LX90, I think not though because I've done a side by side comparison with a freinds LX and it still seems sharper than the Celestron.

As for the dob boys...I bought a 200PDS a few months ago to try my hand at dso imaging with my 550d, what a work up, collimating and tweaking every time you set up, I would like to spend time at the eyepiece not faffing around for 20 minutes every time. Ok once it's in it gives some beautiful views but....I'm seriously thinking of getting a 12" Meade sct and getting rid of the other two. I will say though that after some teething troubles and a few tweaks and twists the CG5GT has been absolutely superb, excellent tracking and pinpoint goto. It's just a pity it won't take a 12" meade.

Hi Stewpot,

The CPC925 XLT is a fantastic scope. It is extremely good at resolving planetary detail and wonderful on DSOs (in my opinion).

It's certainly not the lightest scope around, but the carry handles make it very comfortable to move, even over longer distances. The price is also very attractive at the moment. It does not feel as heavy to carry as it actually is.

There are, however, a couple of things to consider when buying one...

1. It is essential to have a dew shield and ideally a heated tape too. This would keep things ticking over without the dreaded dew forming. :)

2. The scope is quite power hungry so I recommend a 17amp jump starer as a power supply. You can't run it on batteries like the Nexstar line.

3. It comes with a 1.25" star diagonal, but it is really worth upgrading to a 2" one as the whole thing feels a little light otherwise. Weight wise it is beter balanced for a 2" diagonal than a 1.25" version.

4. Take your time with a spirit level when you set up the mount. Also, de-focus a star during an alignment so it fills the eyepiece. This is a much more accurate way of aligning the scope. It helps to get the star right in the middle of the eyepiece. As your focal length is 2350mm it is very important to get the alignment really close otherwise you can miss the object completely when you are using the goto. This assumes your field stop isn't greater than 27mm (max on 1.25" diagonal).

5. Get a red dot finder - it's so much easier to use than the standard finder.

Looking back, that's more than a couple. Oh well...

Best of luck with your purchase consideration.

Rob

For the price of a CPC925 you could get a 16" Dob or a 14" motorised Dob.

Seriously if I hadn't fallen out with Celestron over their outside the US pricing for the CPC925 edge ($700 difference over there + £2300 over here or more than twice the price) then I woulda had one for my wife's first scope. Great scope and with the focal reducer flatener and a wedge probably one of the most versatile.

Thank you all, for this feedback.

OK with the scope, dew shield, 2" diagonal and red dot finder I'm still £300 under budget.(No VAT here) That needs to be spent on 2 or 3 eyepieces I think. I've only got one left from my refractor and that's seen better days. Already have a Barlow lens

What recommendations do you have?

I have a 12" Meade SCT ACF , new model only 8 month old, the views are superb. I've decided that as good as it is I'm going back to a dobsonain, having looked through a 16" computerised dobsonian tonight,the difference to my scope was very noticeable.

Have you thought about a big dob if you have space?

Hi - Set my CPC9.25 up last night for the first time in ages just for visual. The goto takes less than five minutes to sort out. I used a 2" Williams diagonal with a tele vue 24 panoptic seeing was'nt very good but even so, the views of M38, M42 & Jupiter where well worth the effort. This scope is easy to live with and has quite a robust built standard - well worth the money.

Guy

what ever you decide on its the views you'll get that really matters, a dig dob will help with a lot of objects such as dso's with the extra light grasp but the cpc will deliver some excellent sights on planets and other solar system objects. All who have commented here would agree on one thing, getting to some dark sky locations will give some incredible views with either. :)

I have the bigger 11" CPC - I highly recommend this range, buy it, you'll not regret it!

Actually I have been thinking about this one too. I get dark skies at the bottom of my garden and can easily drive to most other dark sky sights on the island. Is the CPC 1100 much heavier/bulkier than the 925?

And more to the point, since the 1100 + extras would use up my budget, is the extra aperture worth the extra cash?

Regarding aperture yes, aperture is everything, 2 inches more makes a huge difference, you can see more of the fainter DSO's and resolve the planets better at higher magnitudes. I find the CPC 1100 is still portable enough if your traveling to your location by car and setting up near to your car.

Regarding weight and size; yes the scope is heavier and a bit bulkier so depending upon your car it will probably fill your boot. The CPC1100 is not a scope to pack away and take on holiday but it's okay for an evening trip to a dark site so long as your not carrying it far - but then the same would probably apply to the CPC 925 anyway. I bought a Nexstar 5 for more portability but I still prefer to take the 11" reserving the Nexstar 5 for holiday trips and for any site that it's necessary to hike a distance to.

If the CPC 925 is more suited to 2 inch EP's then the CPC 1100 definately is and it's more powerful motors make light work of lugging the scope about even with a bulky chunk of an eyepiece like an Axiom LX or a large Nagler attached.

Personally I'm happy that I bought the CPC 1100 and I wouldn't trade down to a 925. Hope that helps you to decide.

Right! That's it! CPC 1100 it is.

Thank you for the feedback and constructive advice everybody

Another vote for the 1100. i got one recently from FLO. Excellent. I'd recommend a focal reducer as well at some point - my next purchase - since stuff like M42 is a bit squeezed, even in the 35mm Panoptic I have.

Like you, I looked at C9.25 and NEQ6 for AP reasons. But I just don't have the time to pull that off at the moment. Will get a WO refractor and a NEQ as an additional purchase later. This seems to be a common practice so I gather.

The 1100 weight is quite manageable if you are in reasonable health. If you have a bad back get something lighter.

Archived