Narrowband

Verdict on Stargazing Live 2012

M4lcs67

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was also one of the amateurs in the field at the "star party" on Monday and agree fully with Starstrike's comments about how well the BBC looked after us and ran the operation. It was also pretty cool to get a "behind the scenes" view of it all and see some of the monster equipment they use to broadcast these type of events......some of the OB trailer units were huge :)

I got chatting to one of the producers after the show and apparently the "star party" stuff was cut short in places due to time constraints, however in my opinion it was such a small part of the whole event it mattered little, the two interviews they did use got the message across.

We could not have wished for a better night in terms of weather, in practice the only down side was the field. This was shall we say "soggy" which meant tripod legs were slowly sinking into the mud during the 3 hours we were out there and made tracking something of a challenge :D

I think the BBC did a very good job with this years programs helping to spread the word......

Well, saw all the shows and to be honest, found it dull for some reason I haven't fathomed out yet. Surprising as sciencey type stuff is right up my street. Would I be happy for for the beeb to do a show next year? Yes, astronomy is still my thing. I was expecting much more time with telescopes in the field as it were, professional or amateur, maybe next year.

The light pollution stunt was a worthy attempt to raise awareness of the subject. I'm in the camp that supports the better control of excess lighting, not switching them off.

Enough said, bye everyone.

I really enjoyed this years shows, it was a lot better than last year but I suppose you can't please everyone.

The consensus on most of the Stargazing Live threads (including this one) is positive which is great but lots of folk think that there could have been more of the 'live' aspect. That is fair enough, I also think they could have spent more time talking with the amateurs - asking them question about their set ups ( scope types,mounts, EP's etc etc) and what they were looking at.

As for 'live' views through a telescope (what you would see visually) that's really hard to replicate with any camera that I know of (maybe I'm wrong?). Especially when you think about the small details you pick up in an object in the moments of good 'seeing'.

Also it's worth looking at the bigger picture, last year there were over 300 events UK wide on stargazing, when has that EVER happened before (exception 2009 -%2

I gather from a conversation long ago that the reason "Sky at Night" has carried on for so long is that it occipies an unwanted spot in the schedules - there's no competition from other programs. So it carries on, and on, and on. Who will present it after PM seems to be an open question...

Lol. I can see the error of my ways, forgive me I am a newbie :D

Never mind Nick. It's an easy mistake to make. Welcome to the Hobby! :(

I thought the shows were great. I like Brian Cox, but he seemed to get quite agitated at even a mention of 'fringe' stuff! It made me uncomfortable as he didn't seem quite so in control. I sit on the fence generally, until something is proven one way or another (and, no, I don't freak out at mini black holes!:)) although I err on the side of proven science.

I wish, too, that there'd be more shows in the year.

Alexxx

If this reporter didnt like the show its not like there is a shortage of other channels for him to have watched, constructive criticism it is not, but spouted vitriol and un supported opinionated statements it is. At least if there was something that made it particuarly unattractive viewing a critique with valid points and some weight at least to back it up would be more like journalism, this just smacks of playground name calling, clearly he is someone who spends every evening sat in front of the TV enjoying criticising everything he sees. Pathetic really that someone gets paid for this, at least its not my cash!!

I really enjoyed this years shows, it was a lot better than last year but I suppose you can't please everyone.

The consensus on most of the Stargazing Live threads (including this one) is positive which is great but lots of folk think that there could have been more of the 'live' aspect. That is fair enough, I also think they could have spent more time talking with the amateurs - asking them question about their set ups ( scope types,mounts, EP's etc etc) and what they were looking at.

As for 'live' views through a telescope (what you would see visually) that's really hard to replicate with any camera that I know of (maybe I'm wrong?). Especially when you think about the small details you pick up in an object in the moments of good 'seeing'.

Also it's worth looking at the bigger picture, last year there were over 300 events UK wide on stargazing, when has that EVER happened before (exception 2009 -%2

Eh that's weird I don't remember finishing my post with ....%2..... it actually went something like this ......

Also it's worth looking at the bigger picture, last year there were over 300 events UK wide on stargazing, when has that EVER happened before (exception maybe 2009 - IYA). Thousands of people of all ages getting to look through telescopes and doing other astronomy activties for the first time. That to me is the 'Live' in Stargazing Live if you now what I mean. :)

The BBC and the program made it possible for me to organize an event myself (with the help of my observing group :D) at my daughters primary school. We had about 70 parents and kids turn up which was amazing as it's quite a small school.

With 6 scopes set up outside and 2 hours of clear skies (:() everyone got to see something. We also had a full imaging rig set up and other astronomy kit and images indoors. The BBC had also provided a small amount of funding and Stargazing Live bags including booklets and info cards to hand out on the night.

The whole experience was amazing and the enthusiasm of the teachers, kids, parents and grandparents was brilliant. I don't think it would have be possible (on the same scale anyway) without the catalyst of the TV show and the BBC's resources.

So to be honest anything on TV that can promote astronomy and/or science in general is worth it IMHO. ;)

Ermm

It highlighted astronomy (good)

Little green men (not so good) we know their OUT there, just NOT here

It highlighted LP (excellent)

It highlighted that we are just normal people (very good)

More people will take it up, and a few will then drop out, so the secondhand market will increase, and might even bring down the new prices too

So: 9 out of 10

Oh, how the ignorant revel in their ignorance. They're too ignorant to know how ignorant they are!

Ermm: "a bunch of anoraks standing *outside in the dark"

ignorant and arrogance, are a very fine line

you can be ignorant and not arrogant

but arrogance breeds ignorance

this chappy is clearly OTT on both

I must say I didn't see the comment/article in the afformentioned newspaper (and I use the term newspaper in it's broadest sense). Strikes me that people like him are only interested in watching X Factor, Jeremy Kyle drivel rather than trying to broaden their minds. Well each to their own at the end of the day, which also includes the people who watched Stargazing Live. And then to diss the programme just smacks of utter ignorance. Fair enough it wasn't his cup of tea, but there were a great many people who did watch it and loved it, then got their telescopes out afterwards.

I guess he should go back to his Britains got NO talent and the usual rubbish that is on a Saturday night and leave the interesting stuff to the rest of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived