Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Verdict on Stargazing Live 2012

M4lcs67

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem is they are good if you have an interest to get started, and want basic information about the hobby.

Will say that I think that occasionally it gives a slightly false idea of what is achievable on the budget and equipment that most beginners will start with.

If you have been doing this for a year or two, have a scope and know what you are doing then the programme was a bit limited.

It was aimed at the beginner and to show the possibilities and not at the person with a 10" scope and who knew how the locate all the Messier Objects, or the imager with all the equipment that is need to get the images we see.

I have NO PROBLEM with people being Astronomers... AND watching X-Factor, Jeremy Kyle, whatever. After a hard day, actually working at CERN, I was quite happy to collapse in a chair and watch all sorts of "rubbish" (foreign?) TV. :)

"Leave it out", Brian [teasing] - You do sound rather like my 60 / 70's Dad (actually didn't) sometimes. :(

I've had an EP on back order for weeks due to what the retailer called "The Stargazing Live effect" Had to have a chuckle when he said that! Bit annoying to be honest, but if it gets loads more people interested in the night sky then its a very good thing!!

It has got to be a good thing if it gets some youngsters interested in Astronomy. It doubled the numbers the Astro Soc of Glasgow got at a Public event in late January - and that has to be a good thing.

It isn't aimed at us, we are already hooked.

Tom

• 1 month later...

I didn't see it as [1] I was out on one of the evenings helping run an event and [2] they have switched off the analogue signal where I live.#

I take it Jonathan "I'm so amusing, is that Gallifrey?" Ross wasn't back this year?

We (Rugby & District AS) provided the scopes in 2011 for 300 people at Ashlawn School, in 2012 we tied up with Coventry AS and had 600 along.

It's a great initiative and better than whatever soap is on, although I hope the kid who asked me all the difficult questions isn't at the 2013 one, or is she is that she leaves the thumbscrews at home.

Donuts will be available of course.

• 2 weeks later...

An idea for next year - if the Beeb can afford to send a presenter and a film crew to South Africa - why don't they send a few amateurs with their kit to somewhere fairly close, and where it's dark at the same time as it's dark in the UK and where clear skies are more certain - like Mount Teide on Tenerife for example? Then they could do some brilliant stuff about less "basic" stuff like guiding, filters, CCD cameras.....etc. I know I'd volunteer to help out!

I would be happy to do that from my location in Spain, and I can think of a few others from excellent locations who would be delighted to do the same.

Tom

• 6 months later...

Archived