Narrowband

Verdict on Stargazing Live 2012

M4lcs67

Well I thought it was very good overall and should bring alot of new people into astronomy. Expect even more questions and queries from people wanting to take it up.

I was one last year and am continually looking for answers to my questions even now. There is loads that I don't know and I will continue to learn.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's been a great mix of more complex issues, nice visits to what looks like a wonderful site and general chat and banter. although it would have been better to get more of a feel for what it is like to actually use a telescope, in fairness this would have been almost impossible to get across effectively.

a real hit for me.

I really like the show, i think Dara & Cox work well together but i just wished they wouldn't go down the UFO, search for ET life route all the time.

When i go out to my back garden i'm not looking for ALF or the predator but the experience of what can be seen and if i ever get it right the photos i can take.

Don't get me wrong, i firmly believe in life beyond our planet and could spend all my time talking about it but the discovery channels have that, black holes & Exo-planets covered. I wanted this to cover the astronomy more, possibly the astrophotograhy & raise awarness of the hobbie & the LP issue (which it did well).

That said it was a good three shows, i really did enjoy it. I wished they do it more then once a year.

I hope there are more of these to come, nothing but good can come from them, and I hope a campaign can grow to inspire more action on wasted energy in the UK, due to massive light pollution.

Thoroughly enjoyed the three progs. and well done to all who made it happen. The presenters all did a great job.

Ron.

I hope there are more of these to come, nothing but good can come from them, and I hope a campaign can grow to inspire more action on wasted energy in the UK, due to massive light pollution.

Thoroughly enjoyed the three progs. and well done to all who made it happen. The presenters all did a great job.

Ron.

Indeed :D

Absolutely fantastic. I was very happy they included some quite complex astrophysics as well as more basic astronomy. And we can only hope that the issue of LP is given more attention. It's not only going to be beneficial to us but would save the country a fortune. I'm absolutely certain the programmes will get more people interested, even my dear old mum has said she would like to get out and see the sky.

I thought it was excellent! To get our wonderful hobby on to prime time TV, and on a main channel too, is stupendous - the BBC should be congratulated, as of course should all the presenters. I personally enjoyed the Back To Earth part of the show best. Keep it coming, Auntie Beeb!

enjoyed it, i have had others that were previously "not bothered" about such stuff, ask me about it now so i think it is doing good.

Said before, i would have like more "time at the eyepiece" and i think the trips to the southern hemisphere could have been dropped.

All in all, i am looking forwards to the next series

Finally....my licence fee used well :D

I thought it was excellent and watched all 3 programs....in fact, TV for the last 2 nights has been fascinating....Horizon on after last night's show, and the first of a 3 parter about the crusades tonight.....haven't watched so much telly for years.

Rob

It would be wrong to suggest that it was without fault, but personally I found it engaging, interesting and fun to watch and I wish more programmes were made to a similar standard.

When I look at the amount of mindless, lowest common denominator brain-rotting drivel that is regularly broadcast I do have to wonder what useful purpose a television serves, but between this and Sunday night's "Sherlock", a little hope has been restored this week.

Now then BBC (and the rest of you); how about making a lot more programmes that don't treat people like thinking is an optional extra?

James

Totally agree with RobH, it's been brilliant. I really hope folks take to heart the need for dark skies and weren't just in it to appear on the tv though, c'mon lets push hard for towns/councils to turn lights off, in the current economic state the country is in surely there has never been a better time to push home the message they can actually save money.

I really enjoyed it however I feel that they could possibly have done a few more things, I know it's called stargazing live, so there is the live aspect of it but our weather is notorious so some pre-recorded dark site stuff with out grainy low detail night vision cameras would've shown the stark contrast between towns and dark skies, a couple of long exposure pictures from both types of site would've been ideal.

I had also hoped that they would do more with actual astronomy at the eyepiece with video, again, some pre-recorded stuff would've been brilliant, it wouldn't have had to be a long piece, just a cheap webcam, nosepiece, goto scope and the moon, cut to free software for processing, show the resultant image. They mentioned how people were just connecting cameras, would've been nice to show that :D

Maybe SaN might pick up the ball and do more in that respect?

It would be nice if they gave stargazing live some more air time throughout the year too, although I appreciate that summer would be next to useless but spring, autumn and winter would be nice :)

Totally agree with RobH, it's been brilliant. I really hope folks take to heart the need for dark skies and weren't just in it to appear on the tv though, c'mon lets push hard for towns/councils to turn lights off, in the current economic state the country is in surely there has never been a better time to push home the message they can actually save money.

Quite agree. The other angle on street lights is the Carbon dioxide emissions - our council are in the process of refurbishing 89,000 street lights. I've done a few sums and if they average (a very conservative) 100W per street light they will emit 20,000 Tonnes of CO2 a year :D..

The progs were great. Being a newbie I'm soaking up as much as I can at the mo. Liz wotsit in S.Africa made me chuckle, the way she fired her questions at her interviewees without listening to their answers :). The Prof and Dara were good. I was glad Dara didn't keep interrupting him as much as last year.

Can we have more please auntie beeb?

I enjoyed the programme overall. A great mix of personalities who I found to be very interesting. Although I understand fully why the ET angle was explored, I would have preferred them to concentrate on Astronomy. The programme had some brilliant moments, I especially liked the discussions regarding Black Holes. Why cant there be a weekly TV programme? It would be great for Newbies like me, and those of you who are more experienced, in fact I'm sure there could be a lot of input from communities such as this forum.

I enjoyed it. The misses said she thought it was license fees well spent.

Inevitable that the rather quixotic attempt to switch off the lights for a look at the sky in Dulverton would get scuppered by clouds though.

I'm still slightly mind-blown by the 300 billion galaxies in the observable universe stat, along with 100 million stars in the milky way, and each star having a minimum of one planet.

Archived