Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Worcestershire

MalvernWalker

I've just bought my 8 year old son a telescope for his birthday on 6th Nov. We have some decently dark sky here, when it isn't raining, and have been using binoculars and a spotting scope up to now. My 11 year old daughter did a project on the moon last year so we managed to observe the different phases over a month- she can pick out some constellations. I bought the little Orion Starblast 4.5 as a first scope - it is portable enough to take camping in the car and over the fields to get some even better dark. Ive just set it up with the finder to view the Droitwich transmitting masts - so I'm looking forward to using it in the dark after Ronan's birthday. As I expected the 6mm eyepiece is much harder to use than the 17mm, even with glasses off - fortunately my wife and kids have better eyesight than me. I've learned plenty lurking here and will let you all know how our family experience goes.

Derek

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Derek, welcome to the forum. Best pick a new target for for your calibration as I understand they are considering dropping the masts at Upton Warren (something to do with them not transmitting digitally). There's a few astronomy clubs in Bromsgrove/Redditch and they have access to dome dark sites but as you are in Malvern you may have that side of things covered.

Archived