Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AstroArt V5 Image Capture and Processing Software

FLO

Our AstroArt 5 astronomy software packages arrived yesterday afternoon :icon_salut:

Backorders were processed and dispatched same-day via Fedex.

Just to clarify: Whilst you can download AstroArt V5 from the AstroArt website, if you order the same from us (or any other authorised AstroArt retailer) you receive the software package on a CD-ROM and a printed 140-page instruction book.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next question: How useful is the plate solving? Will it automatically slew, solve and re-adjust in a single step (or attempt [x] iterations?]?

Hi

This is beyond AA5 at the moment , but there are plan afoot with a new camera interface coming soon

Harry

I'm thinking about giving this a go myself. I like the idea of plate solving.

So what does the plate solve actually do then? Does it work out where you are and then update your planetarium software and then you manually move the mount where you want it...?

just wondering?

Cheers

Ant

Yes, the plate solve gives you an accurate measure of where you by looking at the match of the stars in your picture to the star catalogue it is using. In Maxim you can then sync to the plate solved position to add another point to the EQMod alignment points. The plate solving is quickest when your alignment is quite good since the software starts at where the mount thinks it is and works outwards (like the spiral search command in EQMod). Its easy to use - I can do it!

Helen

Nebulosity is scriptable and so is Elbrus (which is free plate solving software). I'm wondering if anyone's done anything with Elbrus.

Having said that, the key advantage to a package like Maxim is having everything all in one place without needing to switch between a variety of different applications for guiding, syncing, plate solving and focusing.

For now I'm just window shopping at AstroArt, I can't justify (or need) Maxim yet but integrated plate solving would be a real benefit when it's cold and late in a field 50 miles from home when one is struggling to align on the right star.

For instance, I've been imaging the Veil nebula in Ha lately:

post-18683-133877688338_thumb.jpg

And then I decide that in order to add some RGB colour to it, I'd have to travel to a dark site, it's three hours from home to remote set up.

Two hours of imaging and another two hours of packing and travel time later, I arrive home exhausted. I go to bed. In the morning, I process the image and get this:

post-18683-133877688331_thumb.jpg

Ooops, I missed. Not by much - I was just one star away (what should be 52 Cyg is another something-Cyg).

My question to AstroArt **mobile users** - will AstroArt V5 help me avoid these costly mistakes?

All the best,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread but using Sequence Generator (free) - a front end for AA and Elbrus(free) you get superb plate solving, bang on GOTO's and some really excellent utilities including putting you on any previous target.

Two fantastic free add-ons

I use Nebulosity and Elbrus (and EQMOD, ASCOM, PHD, Cartes du Ciel plus Bahtinov grabber) and they work fine together on my 4 year old netbook.

Sequence generator, mentioned above, also works with nebulosoty and can integrate them - nice if you want to leave the scope taking pictures unattended all night automatically switching filters, but if you are there there is no need and you can just run them seperately without any hassle.

I use Nebulosity and Elbrus (and EQMOD, ASCOM, PHD, Cartes du Ciel plus Bahtinov grabber) and they work fine together on my 4 year old netbook.

Sequence generator, mentioned above, also works with nebulosoty and can integrate them - nice if you want to leave the scope taking pictures unattended all night automatically switching filters, but if you are there there is no need and you can just run them seperately without any hassle.

Thanks for the heads up there. Is it possible then to use Sequence Generator to automate a plate solve followed by a sync via ASCOM to the planetarium software (CdC)?

Mike, do you use EQMod in the field? Have you had a look at EQTour? Would that do what you want? As long as you orient the camera consistently and do your N-point alignments, you create a bookmark in EQTour that you can return to later in another session. I've been looking at doing this myself to help with repeatability, for those targets which are slightly off-centre (as it were) after an inital slew.

Apologies if this is not what you are after.

I have had a basic play around as as a total newbie I think it seems intuitive and easy to work with. I think this will be my x-mas present to myself! I already have PixInsight and the two seem at first glance to be a powerful combination.

If only that SX could arrive before spring...

/Jessun

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response. I don't use EQTour but it does look good although not quite what I'm after.

I want to do this:

Pick an alignment target

Slew

Take a quick image

Plate Solve

Sync the center of the image

I'm really surprised that there's nothing out there that's automated this yet or at least that Elbrus doesn't interface with the planetarium software with a drag and drop alignment (i.e. drag the .fits file to an application which then solves and syncs).

I wonder if it's worth putting some time in myself to see if I can put something together to get Elbrus doing this.

I want to do this:

Pick an alignment target

Slew

Take a quick image

Plate Solve

Sync the center of the image

Use Sequence Generator and Elbrus.

Startup .... slew anywhere, plate solve and sync (co-ordinates perfectly with CdC). Then either slew to your target or use the SG/Elbrus GOTO routine where you choose a frame you want to centre on. Elbrus will plate solve that, slew the scope to it, solve the frame at the location you have slewed to, validate it and show you the distance you are from the original. With a couple of runs of this - it takes less than 20 seconds a go - you will be within a couple of pixels.

Brilliant

Elbrus on its own can watch a directory, plate solve any new images and issue a sync to EQMOD. Personally I do it manually (click to load, click to solve, click to sync).

You can tell Sequence generator where Elbrus is (and PHD, and your focusser, your filterwheel and your mount amongst others) but all I have used it to automate is taking multiple images with different filters after I have gone to bed.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately not, I haven't had the time to practice astronomy of any kind for nearly two months. This is a very busy time of year for us :)

We are currently sold out but have another delivery due next week.

HTH ;)

Steve @ FLO, have you had much evaluating time on AA yet?

I have (had it for Christmas), and it's excellent.

Depends what you want to do, of course, but it's powerful, easy to use and the documentation is good too.

• 3 years later...

I'm relatively new to AP and just started looking at buying some software and came across this thread.

V5 seems to have been out a while, is V6 due soon?

Will it work on Windows 8?

I want something that's intuitive to use and not too intensive - I want to be able to guide, process raw files and video files taken on a Canon EOS550 and ZWOA120MC.

Will it link to planetarium software to allow slewing to objects via laptop control on both my CPC925 and AZ EQ6 mount.

Ideally I don't want to have to download loads of separate drivers as I'm an IT dinosaur - plug and play is better for me.

Thanks,

M

Ideally I don't want to have to download loads of separate drivers as I'm an IT dinosaur - plug and play is better for me.

Unfortunatly there is no Plug and Play with astronomy and especially with astro imaging, there are way to many variables.

Ascom is not that bad once you get your head around it, but you will have to embrace the IT to get the gear to do what you want.

Archived