NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Irvine :-)

pendas Fen

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. As a teenager I had an AstroSystems 6 inch Newt on an alt-az mount (hardcore, or what! :-P). Now, nearly 30 years later, I've decided to get back into astronomy. Choosing a scope has been exciting, but tricky. I'm probably going to opt for a Celestron C8 SCT OTA mounted on a Skywatcher nEQ6 Pro (with SynScan). The 16 inch Meade Lightbridge was on my shortlist but since I intend dabbling in AP the C8/nEQ6 seemed a better choice. I considered buying a CPC800 along with the new Celestron HD wedge but have read that a sturdy GEM (with decent tracking) is the way to go (for AP, anyway).

I invite forum members to share their thoughts/advice on accessories I'll need, especially decent EPs and imaging devices (I already have a Philips SPC900).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi pendas Fen. Welcome to SGL from me too.

Dabbling in AP, you say (where's the emoticon for a wry smile when you need one)? AP can be quite intimidating, as others have already alluded to... worth <most> of the frustration when you get the result you were after though :(

Jenna

Archived