Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Average Astronomer Age...

Keiran

What age range do you fall between?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What age range do you fall between?

• Aged 7 to 17 years...
    • Aged 18 to 27 years...
    • Aged 28 to 37 years...
    • Aged 38 to 47 years...
    • Aged 48 to 57 years...
    • Aged 58 to 67 years...
    • Aged 68 to 77 years...
    • Aged 78 to 87 years...
    • Aged 88 to 97 years...
    • Aged over 98 years...

If its any encouragement about young people..... I'm in a class of 30 for an Observational Astronomy Degree (its biased towrds the practical rather than being astrophycis theory). There are only 3 of us oldies (all part-time), the others are all youngsters. And there's a lot of enthusiasm there :icon_salut:

Helen

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in my Heinz year, apparently. Although I'm pretty sure there's only one variety of me. :)

Ahh John, you "oldie" :icon_salut:. I am a year younger than you (53), pity my mental age is still about 15. :)

It seems that we are above average age for SGL members (judging by the poll so far). Perhaps we should think of ourselves as a fine wine, matured to perfection. Or maybe not.

Tom

Interesting thread indeed.

It would be also nice to start a poll on "at what age did you get into astronomy" sort of thing. For me, it was at a fairly early age, but I would have to think hard at what age precisely it was, but I guess 10-12-ish

With the Beatles playing in the background...

Many happy returns Q

Just turned 64 today (Happy Birthday to my self:D)

From one of the oldest, hello IW24 and the other youngest members. Ain't it weird being at the range's ends? :icon_salut:

I was 10 and seeing the first passes of the Sputnick across the night sky got me hooked, since no satellites were seen in the night sky then. By 11, I got my first cheapy 50mm refractor from a department store and the rest is history.

Thanks Andy for the greet.

Interesting thread indeed.

It would be also nice to start a poll on "at what age did you get into astronomy" sort of thing. For me, it was at a fairly early age, but I would have to think hard at what age precisely it was, but I guess 10-12-ish

I started just such a thread a month ago in the Welcome section:)

• 8 months later...

58 (just) but have been interested in astronomy since my mum bought me the Observers book of Astronomy in 1962. Looking at my astronomy society I'd say the average age is mid-forties. We do have younger members but they are in the minority.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Im 33, but I've only been really interested since Feburary, when I drove across central wales in the middle of the night, and had to stop by the side of the road to look up at the stars.

I'd never seen more than a couple of hundred at once before, and all of a sudden there were 10s of thousands visible.

Poverty quickly followed

Archived