Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Tzetze

Members
  • Content Count

    173
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Tzetze last won the day on November 1 2012

Tzetze had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

219 Excellent

1 Follower

About Tzetze

  • Rank
    Star Forming

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Carrickmacross, Ireland
  1. From what I've read in other threads here, I believe the Moonlite focuser is Robofocus compliant. I found a pinout for the similarly compliant Pegasus Astro device on their website; Pegasus Astro Pinout My soldering skills are pretty lacking to be honest, but I think I can get away with one of these type of units; DB9 Breakout Connector Will this work in my case? Do I risk any damage if incorrect?
  2. Very nice work John. Wow, down to 0.2" RMS error on the guiding. Nice mount!
  3. Thank you John. Hmm, using curves to protect the core, good point. I think maybe just a gentle initial histogram stretch, but then stick with curves for protective stretching. I've done another partial reworking of the image with some extra luminance gathered. There's now 5.5 hrs luminance and just 26.25 minutes each of RGB. I only reworked the lum and blended with already processed RGB. I think I'll process all again from scratch when I next get down to it. Here's the latest WIP. Some things to strive for on the next working; Star reduction/removal of the smaller stars for a less noisy, cleaner looking background. Use curves to not blow out the galaxy cores. When it comes to the cores of the larger stars, is it best to try to protect these during processing, or can they be easily fixed in the later stages? If it's due to saturation of the well, surely the only option is repair?
  4. Thanks Wim. I was able to gather much more data and now have 5.5hrs luminance to process. It's looking much better so far but won't get a chance to work on it fully until the weekend at least. What I have been doing to create a mask is to add a star mask to an inverted L mask. I think this should provide the same result as what you've described. I'll have to pay more attention to the quality of the mask when I next create one. I didn't process out any diffraction spikes. There were plenty in the full frame image but none in this tight crop.
  5. Thank you all. Sorry Knight, I should have included gear used in OP. Astrodon LRGB, Atik 460ex, 10" Newt @ f4.7, NEQ6.
  6. Thanks very much, Sunshine and Paul. =]
  7. Tzetze

    M51 .

    Agreed, definitely good data there. I can't speak for colour balancing in PS, but from my experience with PI it's necessary to balance/calibrate the colour before any stretching of the image. Like I say, I can't offer any help with Photoshop in this regard.
  8. I got some time at the weekend to work on processing data captured on 30/03. Only 6x subs each for LRGB, and unfortunately none of the L subs have tight stars. Will need to get more data on this when the weather allows. So, I've ended up with stretched out stars and blurred details in the dust lanes but I think the colour balance and processing has worked out quite well. I used deconvolution and TGVDenoise for the first time in this process. The details in the luminance did appear sharper than in this final result, so maybe a reworking can bring about a sharper result after all. Comparing against other images of M51, there should be a strong hint of blue in the yellow in the left of the image. I'm not sure if I've failed to catch it due to poor processing or not enough data. That's something else to strive for in the reworking and further data collection. L: 6x900s at 1x1 RGB: 6x225s at 2x2 Edit: I should also point out that I've somehow damaged the centres of the brighter stars (inverted?) during the processing. I guess my star+background mask wasn't strong enough on the stars.
  9. Thanks both, Des and Tom! =]
  10. Thank you Brian. Such a lovely compliment that someone could find this work as motivational. I look forward to seeing your own work on the subject.
  11. Fantastic image! Also looking forward to seeing the colour added.
  12. Thanks very much, Carole and x6gas. =]
  13. Pixinsight is essential kit, in my opinion. I have little experience of PS, though I know there is a lot of fantastic work done with it. After trialling PI, I found PS to be too convoluted at every step and lacking in it's toolset. I can't compare to colour balancing in PS, but with PI it really comes down to being as simple as zeroing in on the fine tuning of a single parameter with easy to read/judge abstracted results.
  14. Now I can thank you in person, Harry. Your vids have been, and continue to be, invaluable! Thanks. =] Thank you, Michael.
  15. Thank you Lewis and Tomato. Colour calibration is something I've worked on previously when processing DSLR images taken through an LPS filter. I simply used the same technique on the RGB image while still in its linear form. I have to give thanks to Harry of Harry's Astro Shed and his excellent tutorial videos on Pixinsight processing.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.