Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Average Astronomer Age...

Keiran

What age range do you fall between?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What age range do you fall between?

• Aged 7 to 17 years...
    • Aged 18 to 27 years...
    • Aged 28 to 37 years...
    • Aged 38 to 47 years...
    • Aged 48 to 57 years...
    • Aged 58 to 67 years...
    • Aged 68 to 77 years...
    • Aged 78 to 87 years...
    • Aged 88 to 97 years...
    • Aged over 98 years...

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just over half a century, I still have my observing notes from when I first looked up at the stars around 8 years old ..(spent a few decades actually tryin to become one :) and failed miserably.. but that's another story :D) Had a fair bit of a break then realised how cheap decent scopes had become so got back into it about 3 years ago.

Slightly surprised the way this is panning out as I expected the peak to be 10 years higher... interesting

59 - I had to work that out too!

Been interested since viewing comets, eclipses etc with my father as a kid plus the space race etc.

Got back into it in the past 10 years while living in a dark rural area.

Mark

• 3 months later...

It's really interesting that the majority vote falls in the 38-47 years

Could it signify some kind of mid life crisis :icon_salut:

Or in a good enough job to be able to afford the equipment, and young/stupid enough to still have the inclination to sit out in the cold all night? :-)

im 32, i have always tried explaining what galaxys, solar systems etc actually are to anyone i can and they have always glazed over and sort of go "oh right , are you interested in space and stuff then?" i am a lonely space fan apart from recently finding you guys but i would like to share my interest with someone of similar minds one day. it frustates me sometimes that most people cant see past the rock and bubble we live in.

its very sad really to see not many young here involved with astronomy tho....i bet if this was the USA then we would see MUCH different results.....my 10yo daughter watches a lot of those kids sit-coms from USA and i see many times posters in there rooms of space etc...

i think the question is "how does the UK make astronomy more appealing to the young"

well....it would help if the government would get rid of all these stupid street lights so city kids could notice "there is a sky up there" and one with such beauty/wonder in it !!

stick patrick moore on big brother perhaps ?.....that shud up the astronomy ratings wid the young !! :icon_salut:

I first looked through a telescope when i was about 9 or 10. My older brother got a really cheap and chearfull one for christmas. You could see the moon through it but not much else.

Since then i've had a few hobbies but i'm back on the right track now.

I'm 30.

Archived