Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wonders of the Universe

JohnnyD333

Hi SGL,

I am a big fan of Brian Cox and his "Wonders of the Solar System". They are finally bringing his new series "Wonders of the Universe" over to the US at the end of July. I think it has been on BBC already, just curious how everyone felt about it. Thanks:icon_salut:

Wasn't very good in my opinion. Too many shots of him standing there and the camera circling around him. Starts talking about entropy in one episode which I'm sure would have blown over most peoples heads while he was building a sand castle. There were snippets of good stuff though. I may have liked it more if I was new to it all.

Wasn't very good in my opinion. Too many shots of him standing there and the camera circling around him. Starts talking about entropy in one episode which I'm sure would have blown over most peoples heads while he was building a sand castle. There were snippets of good stuff though. I may have liked it more if I was new to it all.

as said realy but a lot better than our soaps:)

Hi Johnny,

i'm a big fan of Brian Cox,wonders of the solar system and universe,stargazing live(in the UK)and a big fan of anybody promoting astronomy.

If i were you i would give it a watch:hello2:

cheers Dave.

Thanks for everyone's opinion. I understand books are where the real information lies, I went to college long enough to realize that. But sometimes I like to calm my thoughts and get caught up in the visual aspects of astronomy. Although Mr.Cox gives us snippets of information that garner to the mass audience, it is nice to see a show devoted to astronomy that I can relax to and enjoy. I look foward to seeing it. Thanks again.

Too much time spent on catching this pretty boys face IMHO and not enough time talking about the "staaaarrs" in his soft Mancunian lilt.

Plenty of substance in there, but had to go away and google a lot of what he said just so I could read through it again and digest it at my own slow pace.

i really enjoyed the series, ok so it might not be the best source of knowledge but it took our "subject" into the home at a prime time TV spot. I also felt to the astronomy novice like myself it gave some therory behind what i was trying to find in my telescope. Maybe it asked more questions than it answered but that can only be a good thing?

I thought Wonders of the Solar System was fantastic, came along at just the right time for me as my interest in astronomy was really starting to grow.

'Universe' was still good but I didn't quite get the same thrill as when watching the first series. Still great to see programmes like that get onto TV though as we wade through more and more shows dedicated to our sewage systems and vacuous nobodies that happen to be fortunately related to the rich.

I did prefer Solar System, compared to Universe - however this may have to do with the fact that it was easier to grasp the Solar System, trying to fully comprehend all that was said in Universe ... well some of it went waaaay over my head (and I'm not ashamed to admit it) :BangHead:

The Brian Cox effect is still alive and well in the homes of people who don't look up ... yet ;)

I've watched both at least twice and will no doubt watch them again.

Cheers, Jeff

Very much as Smoggy, Ollypenrice (and others) have said.

Recently I was given the book as a present. It is supposeldy a book about the universe and all that. Then why are the pictures of BC bigger than the pictures of universe? Just my take on it.

th

I thought it was pretty good. It was funded by the Discovery/BBC channel anyway so thats why he's globe trotting with the fancy locations. visual impact and all that.

I think you have to appreciate what the target audience is and at that time slot the age ranges that could be viewing.

Let's face it at least the theme and content were a step in the right direction and it has whet the appetite for more.

He's filming a new series called the wonders of life due out in autumn.

I don't know if you have seen it Johnny but you can buy it in the USA, the Hubble IMAX experience on BluRay and DVD.

I was privileged to watch it at the KSC - Now that is GOOD :BangHead:

Modern telly. All about the personality. Circling cameras, moody locations, tiny fragments of real information.

Read a book.

Olly

The Beeb could be priming him up for other stuff, The new face of British Astronomy, "Look at my guy :cool:", and that smile of his :BangHead:, it's a shame it get's in the way of a good subject, he's seem's a nice person

It's modern TV at it's best or worst what ever way you look at it.

Buy the book, but be prepared for the mug shot's .

Similar opinions here to everyone else: The Wonders of the Solar System series was better IMHO (more informative), but 'Universe' is still worth watching.

I don't know why, perhaps it's the time of night when I've watched them but I still have yet to get through a Wonders of the Universe episode without falling asleep somewhere in the middle. :BangHead:

Flawed but still rather have this on TV rather than the reality stuff that seems to unfortunately fill our channels these days.

I haven't read the books for either of the series - are they worth getting?

Spikey,

The Hubble IMAX was quite the movie/documentary, I really enjoyed it. Im sure the "Wonders" series will be descent, but I realize it is television and only so much information will be presented alongside the star Brian Cox. Although books will be the best way to get information, I feel a show like this is very important for Astronomy. Brian Cox is a performer, a physicist as well, but we need people like him to garner interest in Science. We cant ignore the fact that most children are influenced by absolute garbage television shows. If they are going to watch the television no matter what, at least us as adults can steer them in the direction of something interesting and profound (even if all the facts cannot be presented in one hour).

Spikey,

The Hubble IMAX was quite the movie/documentary, I really enjoyed it. Im sure the "Wonders" series will be descent, but I realize it is television and only so much information will be presented alongside the star Brian Cox. Although books will be the best way to get information, I feel a show like this is very important for Astronomy. Brian Cox is a performer, a physicist as well, but we need people like him to garner interest in Science. We cant ignore the fact that most children are influenced by absolute garbage television shows. If they are going to watch the television no matter what, at least us as adults can steer them in the direction of something interesting and profound (even if all the facts cannot be presented in one hour).

I'm not knocking him or the series Johnny. I like him and I like his programmes. In fact he doesn't live too far away from me !

You're absolutely right, there is way too much trash on TV.

It's a great series you will enjoy it immenseley.

Back on the BC personality front again.

Seems we've been here before, I like him and the programmes that he's presented, as some have mentioned, it sure beats so much else thats shown on tv.

Still not sure why some people want to kick him?

We have had a plethora of Astronomy based programms on the box recently with more on the way, can't remember too many leading up to 2010 except the trusty Sky at Night and a few decent documentaries from the likes of Horizon and Equinox.

More is good :BangHead:

as for BC, I don't really care about the personality, although he's fine in my book, just the content and on another note I love to see the locations shown which look stunnng in HD.

Worth a watch i reckon, bless him, BC dose a good job of putting out a carrot as they say (although the behind shots/wide angle of him are a little OTT)

.. but i think the producer would be better off going for the full face , this is how it is type approach. just my opinion.. Dont get me wrong, i think the beeb have a duty to advise and teach, just somehow, a plonker was in charge..

Just to add, whoever gave the cam dude the filter needs a chat too..:BangHead:

What i'm trying to say, right man wrong team.

You asked ;)

Glen

Archived