Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi all

newman

Hello everyone. New to this hobby though I've been wanting to get into it for quite some time now. Recently bought my first scope (Sky Watcher 120/1000 achromatic refractor) and had a chance to test it on a very dark sky location on a 9 day holiday. Got 8 good, clear, dark nights out of it - can't ask for better than that. Even though the initial learning curve can seem a bit steep, what with learning the sky, the workings of an equatorial mount and everything, it didn't take me long before I was tracking my first messiers. I loved every minute of using my scope and am looking really forward to upgrading it as I get more and more into this hobby.

Anyway, just wanted to say "hi" for now. I'll probably bug you lot with specific questions about equipment / eyepieces later on when I check the related boards :hello2:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Newman, welcome to the Lounge.

Eight clear nights in a row, how lucky is that! :hello2:

Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes I considered myself quite lucky for that. It would have been 9 (the sky was clear the last night) but the wind was really, really strong and I had to pack up the scope and carry it to the car to catch the morning ferry back home. Still, I didn't feel like I had any right to complain considering the 8 clear nights before that :D

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Hi Newman and welcome

Wow, apperture fever already!!

Well, not really. By upgrading I didn't mean replacing it with a larger aperture scope; merely enhance the experience with this one with quality ep's, better star diagonal, ra/dec motors for the mount, a telrad, and a 9x50 finder with a 90deg amici prism (as opposed to the look-straight-through finder scope that's nearly impossible to use if you point the scope at targets near the zenith), etc..

As time goes by I may want to get bigger more powerful scopes but my current conditions dictate that portability is very important - the size of the one I have is about the maximum I'm prepared to deal with for the moment. Besides I just got started with this hobby; there's plenty more mileage a 120/1000 refractor can give me before I have an actual need for a bigger scope :hello2:

Archived