NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Urgent!!!! Lets get some attention

Just how is that fair??:)

If everyone goes about with an I"m alright jack attitude like that the world is gonna become a very sorry place.

So what your saying is, if someone is spoiling your fun as long as they're enjoying themselves that's ok?:)

Good grief.

I thought life was about a bit of give n take.

Regards Steve

I have a "Jack attitude" and am happy with it, I have given a lot in my life and since I started drawing my pensions I decided to start taking back. I have no interest in tree huggers, save the earthers, save anythings, NIMBYS or what happens to this world after I have gone is of no interest to me B).

Jim

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol some of these comments are funny.

yes light pollution is a pain in the backside for astronomers amateur or serious - yet the discovery of electrical light is probably one of the best things that could have happened to mankind.

Theres no doubt that alot of light is 'wasted' light - but lets not forget how important the some of these lights are.

As an extreme example - how would these people feel about hopsitals that only opened in the day because at night they couldnt see anything?

I have a "Jack attitude" and am happy with it, I have given a lot in my life and since I started drawing my pensions I decided to start taking back. I have no interest in tree huggers, save the earthers, save anythings, NIMBYS or what happens to this world after I have gone is of no interest to me :).

Jim

:)

Reactionary attitudes only hinder progress. Sadly these people will not go away - so how to deal with them jonesy?

I have a "Jack attitude" and am happy with it, I have given a lot in my life and since I started drawing my pensions I decided to start taking back. I have no interest in tree huggers, save the earthers, save anythings, NIMBYS or what happens to this world after I have gone is of no interest to me :).

Jim

I hope for your sake that you don't get another like yourself move in next door to ya, specially if he likes breeding pigs under street lights.:)

Still as long as he's enjoying himself.

Regards Steve

I think people need to get over the whole light pollution thing.

So it spoils your hobby, but it equally allows others to enjoy theirs - seems fair to me.

I'm stunned by this opinion. How is wanting reduced light pollution stopping others enjoing their hobbies? It's wasted, badly designed lights that people are complaining about not lights in general.

lol some of these comments are funny.

yes light pollution is a pain in the backside for astronomers amateur or serious - yet the discovery of electrical light is probably one of the best things that could have happened to mankind.

Theres no doubt that alot of light is 'wasted' light - but lets not forget how important the some of these lights are.

As an extreme example - how would these people feel about hopsitals that only opened in the day because at night they couldnt see anything?

Your post seems to be asking for a sensible moderate approach to LP, isn't that what we all want?

I haven't seen anyone on here advocating a total blackout.

Rob - of course, a sensible approach should be adopted, if only for the hipocrisy I pointed out in an earlier post.

I was just trying to add some balance by pointing out that whilst no doubt alot of light is wasted, some of it is indeed needed and as such light pollution will always be a problem to some extent.

Wasnt trying to ruffle any feathers

The street lights near me now turn off at midnight in winter, 1am in Summer. Much better idea - and, as of yet, no crime spree. Great for seeing the sky.

It also gave me the enjoyment of listening to a drunken teen getting trapped half-way up a tree outside my house when it suddenly all went dark on him.

DARN IT!!!!....knew I shouldn't have worn that hat!!! Spoiled my entire look..........:)

Haha! Love it!! Its not light pollution we should be worried about tho its men dressed in skirts!! Thats some big *** mans legs on the left there im glad they font turn off the lights, wouldnt want a slap off her in the dark......lol!

Back to the topic....i havnt yet got a scope but when i do pay out £450+ im gona have to drive 5 miles everytime i wona use it to get some dark sky! Now Thats a pain in the backside... when you cant enjoy your hobbie from the comfort of your own back garden because street lights are rediculously bright and stay on until stupid oclock so drunks like these can find there way home at night!

Great thread.

Maybe the need to might everything up comes from an primal fear of the dark ?

I had a neighbour once whose house and garden was lit up with at least 10 1000w halgogen lights because his wife 'was afraid to look out of the window at night' Yes they had curtains, no they never closed them.

I read some of the comments, they seem to be along the lines of oh look innit pretty and aren't we great to do this? my thoughts are, oh dear, there are far too many of us.

Rant over

The media says that London is the worst light polluter, but look at Birmingham! Less of a footprint, but look how bright that footprint is!

It would be excellent if there could be a map overlay with this - I know there are some that exist already...

Glad i moved :)

my thoughts are, good god there are far too many of us.

Indeed.

Now about turning the lights off and closing those hospitals at night.. that was a good idea from someone. I'm sure human compassion goes against human evolution.

The last time I was reluctantly "in hospital" having broken my back they wouldn't let me leave.. so I walked out of there the following morning. 617.png

The article also said:

Meanwhile, a glowing emerald nebula, a huge region of hot gas and glowing dust, has been captured by a space telescope.
Shame they didn't point the camera in the opposite direction - that would have been the amazing photo!

even the bbc covered on there main news,without a mention of light pollution!

That is because the BBC says that nasty hoodies will turn up at your doorstep if street lights were turned off.

(Reference: from the TV programme, The Street That Cut Everything)

their disgust assuming Sky included Ireland as being part of the UK (part of it is) nothing mentioned about the actual subject.....

Northern Ireland is only a part of Ireland in the same way Scotland and Wales are a part of England. Sorry just had to mention it :)

I think people need to get over the whole light pollution thing.

So it spoils your hobby, but it equally allows others to enjoy theirs - seems fair to me.

I dont think it is really that fair as most other hobbies can be done during the day or indoors with out destroying the night sky not to mention disrupting wildlife!

Rob - of course, a sensible approach should be adopted, if only for the hipocrisy I pointed out in an earlier post.

I was just trying to add some balance by pointing out that whilst no doubt alot of light is wasted, some of it is indeed needed and as such light pollution will always be a problem to some extent.

Wasnt trying to ruffle any feathers

You are absolutely right Tom. LP is necessary part of modern life. Impossible to eradicate it completely. Just a case of trying to limit it best we can. Modern society has got far too comfortable with it unfortunately and even trying to reduce it is a major task.

What's sad is most of the comments in that article think the picture of GB at night from space is far nicer than the view into space could ever be. Someone even likened the view to look like lots of little galaxies.....wouldn't they much rather see a proper galaxy?

Its just typical that mankind has basically blundered through and managed to obscure what is surely the most spectacular natural wonder of all. It's no wonder kids these days have no interest in the great outdoors, no interest in where we are from, and lack a basic appreciation of the world around us.....they cant see most of it. That's progress for you, always ending up one step backwards.

Pretty depressing the Birmingham blotch, looks like Coventry is now more or less joined up light wise. And what a shame about Norwich, really spoiling the eastern side.

You are absolutely right Tom. LP is necessary part of modern life. Impossible to eradicate it completely. Just a case of trying to limit it best we can.

I agree Russ, :) it would be irrational to think that we could have completely dark skies with no LP, unless we went to a completely remote site. Some of us are lucky enough to do that. Personally, I am unable to, so have utilised a few techniques to limit it - including light-shields, black-out blinds, filters etc.. C'est la vie :)

Put my twopenworth on. Reading the other comments there some real fools out there. Amazed they can even type.....

I just think these images were a real lost opertunity- that astronaut should have been plugging these images as how much energy we are wasting- not how 'beautiful' it looks.

Archived