NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saying Hi...

Luke Inup

Hi Folks,

Just a quick post to say hello. I am an oldie, and I don't do much practical observing. Too many lights where I live, and a 'crook' neck made me buy a 'star-diagonal', which bust my bank! I live in the West Mids, and I've been into Astronomy since my childhood really. But I joined the Navy at 15 years of age, so it went on the back burner until 1963. Then I got wed and children came along and it went on the back-burner again. Never really got back in!

I have a car though and I can get around. So, maybe I need to buy a proper telescope, and learn my way around the heavens again. My 50mm Terrestrial is OK, (Shows Jupiter's belts and 4 moons, and Saturn's rings and Cassini's Division.) And most of the other 'lollipops'.

It's a very small image though and that was when my eyesight was 20/20! I still maintain an interest, and I would like to buy a nice Refractor. I have see Phenix telescopes that are reasonably priced, for the sizes available. But they seem too inexpensive to be true! So that's me then. A senior citizen who has Intellectual Intermissions rather than Senior Moments, and who has an interest in the stars and maybe learning astrophotography.

So Hi from me.

Regards

JonJon :):icon_eek:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi JonJon, a warm welcome to the Lounge.

There are a few folk who have the Phenix refractor's on here, Iam sure someone with knowledge of them will be a long shortly.

There seem to be some good bargains with achro refractor's at the moment.

Enjoy the forum.

Thanks folks. Pleasure to be among kindred spirits . With regard to Cassini's division, I should point out that it was in a period when the rings were right open to us. And as I said, my vision was 20/20 at the time. Not any more! :)

JonJon

Hi JonJon and welcome to SGL, there must be quite a few members now with senior years and heres wishing you well from another one, I would recommend that you do some research on refractors before coming to any decision, if your finances can stretch as far as the ED range with a minimum aperture of 100mm, this would be a good start, Phoenix I believe have some long focal length Achromat`s which look of reasonable quality, but I have not come across any user reports as yet, although I don`t doubt someone on the forum will be able to offer some advice before long :)

John.

hi hohn and welcome i am x infantry and those cold nights in germany ,in the late 80s we had some real big binos there in a sanga they weighed about 12 kilos on a big frame i always looked up in the air with them never across the border ,have fun sgl is real great for answers and help

Archived