SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newbie in Derbyshire

Darth_Vader

Hello, Just thought I would post a message to say Hi.

I have registered as I have recently aquired a telescope free of charge and I am in the process of figuring out what it is and whether it is useable...

So far I can tell you that it is a reflector telescope with a 6 inch mirror. The tube length (for mirror to eyepiece) is 3 1/2 foot. The eyepiece is a 1 1/4 inch screw in type and has a barlow lens.

It is pretty old and has probably stood unused for the best part of 2 decades!!! Which I guess is why it was being tossed out. I 'saved' it from the scrap heap as (from my limited knowledge) all of the optical parts look useable.

I also got the mount, which was thick with dust. But after a quick clean and lube seams to be functioning OK! Just need to know up some sort of pedastal/tripod and then see how it functions!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Darth and welcome to SGL :D

Sounds like a great freebie and 6" aperture is higly useable. It'll probably need collimating and maybe a better eyepiece or two to sort it out. You can pop up a question in the beginners help section for that. If you have a picture or some details off the plate (make/model etc) then folks will be able to tell you a lot more about it.

All the best and enjoy the forum :p

Hi, DV, and welcome to the forum.

Hope that, when you find a way of setting it up, you find it is useable. If you have any problems, let us know and I'm sure someone will be able to provide a solution. A good first target might be the moon? Large and bright, so easy to find.

Thanks for the messages, unfortunately there is no information plate. Some time during the past the tube has been repaired and treated to a 'nice' brushed gloss coat, which now looks like tipex!

First target will indeed be the moon. I have already downloaded a lunar map and list of targets.

Hi Darth and welcome to SGL your scope has stood for some considerable time, so you say, if the tube has not been covered the mirror could be very dirty, before doing anything I recommend you have a read of the threads dealing with cleaning, should this be the case :D

John.

Hello and welcome to the forum, great work with freebie, sound like it might need some alignment and a good clean, but careful with the mirror though.

I've spent the last few years frustrated and stuck in the middle of Derby city centre with very few dark spots and those I found had some dodgy people around. Hopefully you're out in the dark peak district.

Archived