Hi from Hampshire

AlphaRob

Hi guys! I'm Rob, and I'm just getting into this practical astronomy game. I've been studying various elements of physics/astronomy with the open university and decided I wanted to see these things for myself! I have a Skywatcher Explorer 130P, and have had some good views of Saturn, but struggling to find any galaxies and the such like, probably due to the lovely light pollution of the city. Any advice on the best way to find these things is gratefully accepted! I'm in south Hampshire, should anyone know of some good dark observing spots in the area...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob and welcome to SGL :D

A copy of Sky at Night magazine once a month will tell you the current best objects to seek out. If you learn the monthly movements of the constellations, they serve as a great guide to finding stuff cos you can star hop from the main constellation stars to your object.

Two good books are "Turn Left at Orion" and "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" which provide finding guides to objects, illustrations of what to expect in the eyepiece, and other general info on the object.

The first one is mostly for smaller aperture scopes like yours and has 100 objects. The second is more general but similar format and many more objects organised by constellation. Both recommended. Hope that helps :p

What you studying at the OU? I'm planning on starting S283 (the planetary/search for life one) in November once I've got my maths up to snuff with MST121.

I'm studying S282 (astronomy) at the moment, and i'm planning on starting S283 in October. If you do both of these you can get a certificate in astronomy :D I did S104 exploring science last year, which was a good way of getting my science/maths back up to speed. The astronomy is really good, lots of interesting things to learn although the maths is a little challenging at time!

Archived