Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Returning Amateur

themaster

and getting frustrated already. My name is Nick and I am returning to astronomy after some years away. Back then I had a Meade ETX which was OK but generally couldnt see much with it. Now on my return I have purchased a Skywatcher 200p on an EQ5 mount. It weighs a ton!

I have no doubt I will be posting shortly to ask for help on how to find objects on this new mount! How do you find anything etc!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi There TheMaster. I to have just returned to it after a long time off.

You will find a lot of knowledgeable people on here with a lot of good advice.

I have learnt a lot wandering around SGL.

How do you find anything etc!

Anything? Have you found Saturn yet? Easy to find in the South at the moment.

I found Stellarium great and a free PC download.

Thanks for the welcome both. Already have stellarium etc, can find my way around the night sky with naked eye, may even sound like I know what I'm doing to an utter cave dweller.

However, it is more of a physical thing with the scope/mount setting circles and the like.... sometimes just want to be able to swing the thing round and find something ..... doesnt go left and right....

I was in a similar position to you not long ago. I just wanted to point the scope at something and go, but didn't understand why there was limited movement on the EQ mount.

I took some time to read up on how they work, and crucially, how to polar align the mount. It's a bit confusing at first but you'll absorb it eventually, there are loads of useful videos on youtube that can help you out too.

Apologies if you already know this and I sound condescending but the biggest struggle for me when I started out was learning to use the EQ mount correctly.

Hello,

I have also recently returned to owning a scope...:)

Patience and persistence do return results..... and it will be well worth it.. There are plenty of folk around here that will be helpful and looking back at some of the older threads is very useful.. The search option in the menu on this site is a good way to help isolate your subject..

Most of all enjoy it and have fun.......

Hi Nick and welcome to SGL :)

If you can get to an astro soc with your scope you'll find people only to happy to help you sort any problems with it. I can also recommend star parties and local observing groups - failing that - start a thread in the help sections and someone will come with an answer soon ;)

All, thanks for the warm welcome. I think an astro society is the way forward, kind of makes sense really, community spirit. Seeing all these replies is starting to fill me with faith that registering here is the start for the way forward!

Archived