Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hiya from Lancashire- Dithering about scopes!

Vicky

Hiya,

I'm studying a couple of Open University courses in astronomy as well as a week at the observatory in Mallorca. I'm pretty new to observing and have only just started peeping through the binoculars so want to learn much more.

I'm teetering on the edge of buying an 8" Dob telescope but trying to weigh up the pros and cons seems to be taking over my study time these last couple of weeks. In some respects I can see the benefit of more observation experience with the naked eye or binos- I'd be happier if I knew much more without having to refer to the planisphere.

In the meantime I shouldn't really be here, I should be studying but hey ho- what a great distraction to have :D

Look forward to reading more and getting into more discussion when I have more observation experience under my belt!

Vicky

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. Vicky, and a warm welcome to the SGL Forum.

Binoculars are very useful optical aids in astronomy, and coupled with a Planisphere, become a potent learning combination.

An 8" Dobsonian is an instrument of choice for many aspiring amateurs, simple to use, and with plenty of light grasp.

I wonder if it might benefit you to perhaps join aa local Astronomy Society. That would perhaps give you access to several variety of scopes, and would certainly aid you in making a more informed choice when you decide to buy your own instrument.

I envy you your week in Mallorca.:D

Good luck on your Courses, and I'm certain lots of help will be forthcoming from SGL members should you need it.

Ron.

Hi Vicky,

I'm new to the forum myself and looking to by my first scope. Been doing a lot of reading about 8inch Dob's and think I'm going to take the plunge with a Skyliner 200p Flex Dobsonian. Was looking at the non flex (about £150 cheaper) but the flex is collapsable and has an auto tracker so its better for storage and gives you the option of astrophotography. Youre looking at about £470 for the flex and £280 for the non flex.

Which OU course(s) are you doing and how is it? That is something I have always wanted to do.

Kind Regards

Leigh

Thanks for the warm welcome :D

I'd best get back to my assignment, but will be back later no doubt.

Today's study task: writing up the experiment where I calculated the luminosity of the sun using an oil spot, a piece of paper and a lamp. I'm pretty happy- I got to within 3 times the actual quoted value :)

Have a nice Saturday where ever you are!

Vicky

Archived